1. Archive

Cyclist killed in accident on U.S. 19

A bicyclist riding on U.S. 19 north of Crystal River was killed Monday afternoon when a Dodge pickup truck struck him from behind, the Florida Highway Patrol reported. The man, whose name was being withheld pending notification of his family, was riding about 3:45 p.m. in the southbound lane, Trooper W.S. Edsall said. The accident occurred just north of Seven Rivers Community Hospital. Edsall would not release the names of the two men and one woman in the pickup truck, although he did say they are from Dixie County. The bicyclist was from a northern state, but Edsall would not provide further details. An autopsy was to be conducted, and the Highway Patrol is investigating.17-year-old charged with firing gun

HOMOSASSA _ A Homosassa teen was arrested Sunday and accused of firing a gun during an argument with two other youths, an arrest report says. The 17-year-old, whose name was being withheld because of his age, was speeding along Grover Cleveland Boulevard late Saturday night, the report says. The other youths, whose names also were being withheld, yelled to him to slow down. The 17-year-old drove back and began arguing. He drew a .22-caliber pistol and threatened to shoot one of them, the report says. He fired once but did not aim at the teens. He was charged with aggravated assault with a weapon, use of a weapon in the commission of a felony and discharge of a firearm in public and released from Citrus County Jail to his parents Sunday.

Soldier charged with going AWOL

HOMOSASSA _ A man accused of going AWOL from his U.S. Army unit was arrested over the weekend and was being held for military officials, a report shows. Christopher M. Britton, 22, of 8501 W Miss Maggie Drive, Cabin No. 2, in Homosassa was stopped for a routine traffic violation late Friday night, the report says. A computer check showed that the Army wanted him detained because he was AWOL. Britton told guards at the Citrus County Jail that he left his unit in June, Citrus County sheriff's spokeswoman Gail Tierney said. The report did not indicate where Britton's unit was based or cite his reasons for leaving. He was to be held without bail for military officials, jail Sgt. Rodney Snipes said.