Advertisement
  1. Archive

Court rules Klan must curtail march

WASHINGTON _ The District of Columbia will not have to allow the Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan to march along a major Washington thoroughfare during a rally here today, a federal appeals court ruled Saturday. A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia vacated an order by a lower court judge that would have allowed the Klan to march along Constitution Avenue from the Washington Monument grounds to the U.S. Capitol, said Mark Langer, an aide to the court's clerk. D.C. officials refused to issue the Klan a permit to march along Constitution Avenue, saying they could not adequately insure the safety of the marchers over such a long route.U.S. citizens urged to avoid Philippines

WASHINGTON _ The State Department, citing continuing threats to U.S. citizens in the Philippines, Saturday urged Americans to avoid several islands and provinces and to check with embassy officials on travel plans within the country. In an updated travel advisory, the State Department said threats to U.S. citizens had been heightened during negotiations about U.S. bases in the Philippines. More than 40 bombs have exploded around Manila since August in violence blamed by military and civilian officials on rebel soldiers trying to destabilize the government.

Duke cancels talk with Jesse Jackson

NEW ORLEANS _ Louisiana State Rep. David Duke has canceled an appearance on The Jesse Jackson Show because Jackson would not agree to interview Duke one-on-one, a spokesman for Duke said. Jackson was scheduled to tape the interview with Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan leader who was elected to the state House last year, Wednesday in Washington for broadcast Nov. 3 on his nationally syndicated talk show. Duke spokesman Marc Ellis said producers for the Jackson show told Duke on Thursday that instead of a solo interview, he would be part of a panel discussion about President Bush's veto of civil rights legislation. Duke then said he was backing out, but Randy Douthit, executive producer of the show, said Saturday he had talked to Ellis and Duke mighjt still appearVictim's children sue transit line

LOS ANGELES _ The 11 children of a woman killed by a streetcar filed wrongful death claims against transit officials, who announced a beefed-up safety campaign for the newly opened rail line. Rosa Ceballos, 56, died when she was hit by a Blue Line train last month as she crossed the tracks on her way to church. Donald H. Cohen, an attorney representing Ceballos' children, said Friday they had filed claims for $2-million each against the Los Angeles County Transportation Commission, the Southern California Rapid Transit District and the state. Cohen said the plaintiffs, who range in age from 21 to 43, want to raise public awareness about the danger the trains pose. Two people were killed and four others were injured in accidents between Blue Line trains and cars last week.

Elsewhere

DETROIT _ The United Auto Workers union plans to let its labor contract with Chrysler Corp. expire Monday, union and company sources said, raising the possibility of a strike at the No. 3 U.S. automaker if no new agreement is reached.

MARLBORO, N.Y. _ Coast Guard crews took advantage of favorable weather Saturday to contain 164,000 gallons of kerosene that spilled into the Hudson River when a barge ran aground on a reef.

ULLIN, Ill. _ A pit bullterrier mauled a 4-year-old boy after the child's parents agreed to keep the dog at their rural home for a man who hadn't bought the insurance required to keep it in the village.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Advertisement
Advertisement