This is one in a series of updates on the National League expansion process.Mack says delay is "frustrating'
U.S. Sen. Connie Mack of Florida left no doubt about his feelings after the National League announced Wednesday that its decision on expansion had been delayed.
It was "extremely frustrating," he said in a statement issued from his Washington, D.C., office, perhaps echoing the feelings of fans in Tampa Bay and five other cities competing for two expansion teams.
"Baseball continues to take the hearts of baseball enthusiasts _ especially in Florida _ on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout this process. The National League has all the facts on expansion. Its representatives have made all the necessary visits. There's no need for extra innings on this decision."
Mack added that "Florida clearly deserves both expansion teams. That's as clear now as it will be at any time in the future."
Ruling from Vincent due today
The ruling from commissioner Fay Vincent on distribution of the expansion fees was delayed again Wednesday but should be released today, baseball spokesman Jim Small said. Vincent will decide how much, if any, the American League will get from the $190-million the National League is charging the two new teams. Baseball officials said the delay was not related to Wednesday's announcement that the expansion vote had been put off indefinitely.
_ Compiled from reports by staff writers Thomas C. Tobin and Marc Topkin.