1. Archive

Singles dances are offered at several locations, times

I'm a good dancer and I like to dance. I am 40 years old, unattached (not going with someone) and extremely shy. Nearly all the dancing places in this area are attended by couples and married persons. Also, it bothers me that the unattached ladies often refuse me when I ask them to dance. Refusals (especially for a shy person) can be very demoralizing.

Where can I go to dance and meet people in the age bracket of 25 to 50? Thank you.

Harry Mann

Response: Have you tried the Friday night singles dances at Hamlin's Landing on Indian Rocks Beach? They start at 8:30 p.m. The cost is $4.Dress is casual.There is a cash bar, and the music is recorded.

This singles dance is repeated on Sunday nights at 8 p.m. at the St. Petersburg Clearwater Airport Holiday Inn on Ulmerton Road.

Another popular singles dance is offered once a month at the St. Petersburg Beach Municipal Auditorium on Boca Ciega Drive (next to city hall). A group called Parents Without Partners sponsors it. The cost is $6.It is BYOB, and a disc jockey plays a variety of popular music starting at 8:30 p.m. Call 527-3779 for information.

As for refusals, have you been asking the prettiest, most popular women, or do you look for your shy female counterparts? It makes a difference.

Wallpaper should have been removed

In December I contracted verbally with Mike Loucks of Old Fashioned Lawn & Home Care to paint my bathroom. He had someone do the job but it was not satisfactory.

I have tried since to telephone Mr. Loucks many times. He has an answering service and ignores my calls. I also wrote him a note in April but still have had no word from him.

My request was that he please come and inspect the job for which I paid him $100.

Alma Hoffman

Response: According to Loucks, you were told initially that in order to do a good job of painting your bathroom his workman would need to remove the wallpaper, scrape the walls and put a sealer-bonder on the wall. The price would have been $325.

You did not want to spend that much and told him to just paint over the wallpaper. He explained to you that he could not do a professional job that way but you said to go ahead anyway. So he did.

Information needed for food stamps

I applied for food stamps in April. The state Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services said I had to have my two sons in Colorado write them a letter showing how much money they sent me for my support.

I gave HRS copies of the last two letters I had from my sons pertaining to this but it didn't satisfy them. Since I couldn't reach my sons by phone to have them call, HRS denied my request.

I still need help. Whatever you can do will be appreciated.


Response: The HRS public assistance specialist with whom you were working says you told her you received income from your children but were unable to say how much it amounted to.

Food stamp applications cannot be approved until all income sources are verified. HRS has repeatedly requested letters from your sons explaining how they help you financially. HRS has also asked for your sons' phone numbers. They have received neither and so your application was denied.

You can reapply, but to get food stamps you will have to provide the information that HRS has requested.

Pledge of Allegiance written in 1892

In these days of patriotic fervor, many people recite the Pledge of Allegiance without any thought for the meaning of the words.

Would you please research the origin of the Pledge and tell me when the phrase "under God" was included?

Mary D. Turner

Response: According to the World Book Encyclopedia, school children first recited the Pledge in 1892 during patriotic exercises to mark the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America.

Francis Bellamy (1855-1931) wrote the original Pledge. The National Flag Conferences of the American Legion expanded the wording in 1923 and 1924. In 1942, Congress made the Pledge part of its code for the use of the flag, and in 1954, it added the words "under God."

If you have a question for Action, or your own attempts to resolve a consumer complaint have failed, write: Times Action, c/o the City Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg 33731, or call your Action number, 893-8171, to leave a recorded request for Action.