1. Archive

Student peppers school with pellet-gun fire

Minutes after the school year ended Wednesday, a Ridgewood High student returned to school with a pellet gun, wounded a classmate in the leg and later shot a hole in the principal's office window. "Here it is, we thought we got all the kids out for the year, and then they're back shooting at us," said Ridgewood High principal Wendell Krinn, who was in his office when the pellet struck his window.

The student, accompanied by one or two others, is accused of slightly wounding a classmate in the leg and then driving from the school parking lot about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, just after school let out.

About 4 p.m., the students returned while Krinn was in his office with his secretary and the school resource officer, still dealing with the first shooting.

"I noticed Moe (Deputy Mark Moe, the school resource officer) looking out the window, and he said, "Oh, no!' and ran out of the office," Krinn said. Moe had seen the students in the car waving the pellet gun in front of some students waiting in the parking lot.

Just after Moe left Krinn's office, running toward the parking lot, a pellet struck Krinn's window.

"It left a hole on the inside about the size of a quarter," Krinn said.

He said that the pellet sprayed some glass around his office, and that his secretary had to pick tiny pieces of glass from her hair.

Moe caught the students before they got out of the parking lot and arrested them.

Krinn said the gun, a 9mm air pistol, looked like one containing bullets.

Two students _ a boy and a girl _ were arrested in connection with the shooting incidents.

Their names are being withheld because they are juveniles.

The boy, a 14-year-old ninth-grader, was accused of pulling the trigger, and was charged with aggravated battery, aggravated assault and shooting into an occupied dwelling.

The girl, a 16-year-old 10th-grader, apparently drove the car, and she was charged with being involved in aggravated battery, aggravated assault, and shooting into an occupied dwelling.

Both students were taken to the Juvenile Detention Center and face possible expulsion in the next school year.

A pellet lodged in the leg of Laurie Meyer, a ninth-grader, but the injury was not considered serious.

Krinn said two boys _ twin brothers _ were involved in the first shooting, and that only one of the twins was involved in the second shooting.

He said all three students left school early Wednesday.

"I don't know if it was intentional," said ninth-grader John Murray, 14, who was sitting in front of the school when the pellet was shot at the window.

"I saw him shoot it, but I didn't think he hit anything. If it was intentional, they wouldn't have gone so slow" leaving the parking lot, he said.

Krinn said it was unclear why the students shot the pellet gun.

"I asked the girl (who was shot in the leg), did she know them," Krinn said. "She said, "Yeah, I thought they were my friends.'

"I guess they were just driving around shooting at things."