Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Want to volunteer?

HD: Here's how to apply

Commissioners appoint residents and business people to 16 city boards: the Airport Authority, Budget Advisory Committee, Beautification Committee, Clearwater Housing Authority, Community Relations Board, Development Code Adjustment Board, Environmental Advisory Board, Historic Preservation Board, Library Board, Marine Advisory Board, Municipal Code Enforcement Board, Neighborhood Advisory Committee, North Greenwood Design Review Committee, Parks and Recreation Board, Planning and Zoning Board, and the Maas Brothers Task Force.

Members frequently rotate off the city boards. The city does not advertise openings. If you are interested in being on a board, you must fill out an application. The form, which can be obtained through the city clerk's office, asks which boards you would like to serve on, if you've ever served on a board before and what your work and educational background, community activities and other interests are. Some boards also require you to fill out a financial disclosure form, which asks where your income comes from and what kind of real property you own other than your home.

The City Commission uses the information to decide who it thinks is best qualified for any openings. For information, call the city clerk's office at 462-6684.