1. Archive

Two women killed within 12 hours in separate accidents

Two car accidents in less than 12 hours left two women dead and another critically injured, the Florida Highway Patrol reported.

Joanne K. Clinco, 34, of 195 Hague St. in Spring Hill was pronounced dead at the scene of a Tuesday night accident on U.S. 19. Ms. Clinco was driving her 1987 Mazda northbound on the inside southbound lane of U.S. 19 when she slammed into Tammy A. Loe's car 550 feet south of Timber Pines Boulevard, according to the Highway Patrol.

Ms. Loe, 20, of 8400 49th St. in Pinellas Park was flown by helicopter Tuesday night to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg. She remained in critical condition Wednesday. Her 1991 Toyota was destroyed in the crash.

Dennis Andrews, Spring Hill Fire and Rescue training chief, said Ms. Loe's air bag probably saved her life. Her car was so severely damaged in the accident that rescue workers had to saw off the roof to remove her, he said.

Ms. Loe wasn't wearing her seat belt, Andrews said.

"Usually, with the seat belt and the air bag, you're in pretty good shape," he said.

Spring Hill resident Gail Schoem's 1990 Chevrolet suffered about $1,000 in damage after her car clipped the front of Ms. Loe's car, according to the Highway Patrol. She was not injured.

As a result of a second accident less than 12 hours later, an elderly Spring Hill woman died Wednesday afternoon at HCA/Oak Hill Hospital.

Virginia Kozlowski, 76, of 7313 Fairlane Ave. was revived by rescue workers at the scene of a collision on State Road 50 near Evergreen Woods. She died three hours later in the hospital, according to the Highway Patrol.

Ms. Kozlowski was driving westbound on State Road 50 about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday when her 1977 Chevrolet crossed the center line and she collided head-on with an eastbound truck. The driver of the truck, 66-year-old Thomas Oxley of Brooksville, was treated for minor injuries at Oak Hill. His truck sustained $4,000 in damage.

No one has been charged in either of the accidents, and officials were not able to determine Wednesday if any of the drivers had been drinking.