1. Archive

Hearing set on TECO rate increase


TAMPA _ The Florida Public Service Commission is scheduled to hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. today on Tampa Electric Co.'s request for a rate increase. The hearing will be in Rooms 17 and 18 at the Tampa Convention Center, 333 S Franklin St. Tampa Electric has requested a $97.9-million increase that would raise rates by 10.3 percent. The company last asked to raise its base rates in 1984.

Woman convicted in scalding death

TAMPA _ A Hillsborough jury Tuesday night convicted a Temple Terrace woman of third-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in connection with the scalding death of her 2-year-old son. Nicole A. Fuller had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of JaJwuan Jefferson, who died April 14 at Tampa General Hospital. He was taken there after being burned by hot water April 6. Doctors said the burns caused his death. Fuller, 24, claimed the boy burned himself after when she left him alone in the bathroom. Prosecutors said she deliberately scalded the boy. Fuller's sentencing is scheduled for Nov. 20.

Convicted rapist gets life terms

TAMPA _ A convicted rapist was sentenced to 11 consecutive life terms plus 30 years in prison for repeated attacks on two girls in Wimauma. Allen J. Roberts, 30, was convicted in September of attempted murder, 10 counts of sexual battery and one charge of burglary with assault. Prosecutors said he broke into a house, raped a 14-year-old girl and later repeatedly raped a 12-year-old he was babysitting.

Man pleads guilty to counterfeiting

TAMPA _ An owner of a St. Petersburg coffee business has been sentenced to two years' probation for passing counterfeit $20 bills. William Lynn Moore of 210 N New Jersey Ave. in Tampa must serve the first six months of probation in home detention and pay a $3,000 fine, according to federal court records. Moore pleaded guilty in July to one count of passing forged currency with the intent to defraud. He was arrested April 14 at MacDinton's, a Tampa nightclub, after using two fake bills to pay for drinks. U.S. Secret Service officials later found $17,000 worth of counterfeit bills in Moore's car and a color copying machine at his business. Moore, 38, is a part owner of the Gourmet Cafe, 3012 22nd Ave. S, in St. Petersburg, a wholesale and retail coffee business.


Rep. Schroeder endorses Knapp, Moffitt

PINELLAS PARK _ U.S. Rep. Patricia Schroeder flew to Florida on Tuesday and endorsed Democratic congressional candidates Cheryl Davis Knapp and Karen Moffitt. Schroeder, D-Colo., praised Knapp and Moffitt and said it's important to elect more women to Congress because women often are more concerned about issues such as funding for prenatal care and breast cancer research, and about family leave policies. Knapp is challenging Rep. Michael Bilirakis, R-Palm Harbor, in the 9th Congressional District, which includes northern Pinellas, northern Hillsborough and central Pasco counties. Moffitt is running against Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Indian Rocks Beach, in the 10th District, which includes southern Pinellas County.

Bilirakis' wife is hospitalized

Evelyn Bilirakis, wife of U.S. Rep. Michael Bilirakis, R-Palm Harbor, has been admitted to George Washington University Hospital in Washington, D.C. She is suffering from gallstones. Bilirakis will suspend his campaign schedule for a few days while his wife undergoes treatment.

Man arrested in fatal hit-run

ST. PETERSBURG _ A 22-year-old man whose license has been suspended since 1988 was arrested Tuesday in the hit-and-run death of 4-year-old Rhonda Denise Johnson. The girl was killed Monday as she crossed a street near her home at 1050 Third Ave. N. Clifford Lorenzo Perry, 1159 Third Ter. N, fled after hitting the girl , jail records indicated. Perry was speeding through the 30 mph zone when he hit Johnson, according to a statement by the arresting officer. The speed was not indicated in the statement. Perry is in the Pinellas County Jail charged with vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license. Bail was set at $30,500. Perry's license was suspended in November 1988 after he failed to pay a traffic fine, records showed. The arrest affidavit charged that Perry operated the car in a "reckless manner that was willful and wanton, and disregarded the safety of persons and property" in an area he knew to be "occupied by small children."