1. Archive

Corporation vanished, marker is nowhere to be found

In January I paid Danison Bronze and Granite Co. $560 for a cemetery marker. Richard Swan, owner, placed the order from my home and said it would take approximately eight weeks.

Since then I have left a dozen messages on an answering machine. Swan finally called back. First, he said they had misspelled the name and had to reorder the marker. Later, he said it should be in shortly.

As of June 22 the company's phone is out of service. I left a note in the door of his address in Largo, 2000 Eighth Ave. SW, but have not heard from him.

Please help me to get the marker or a $560 refund.

J. L. H.

Response: Our letters to Danison have been ignored so we checked with the Florida Secretary of State's Office. According to its records, Danison Bronze and Concrete was dissolved as a corporation Oct. 11, 1991.

Because Swan apparently was not shielded by corporate law when he sold you the cemetery marker, we suggest you contact Small Claims Court, 892-7681, and ask how you can go about filing suit against Swan for the return of your money.

Dog has charm but no papers

I answered an ad in the newspaper in August 1991 and bought a Shih Tzu puppy from a private party. The ad said papers would be provided.

When I picked up the dog the owner was not there. I paid her son and called later to discuss the papers. She said it would take some time.

I waited six months and called. Her phone had been disconnected. A certified letter was returned unopened.

Our dog is very beautiful with a wonderful personality and another dog owner has requested stud service. Can you help me get the papers?

W. C.

Response: Afraid not.

The best we can do is suggest you contact the American Kennel Club, (919) 233-9767, and find out if they have her address. Since she gave you the old heave-ho, that is not likely.

You should never buy a pet you intend to register without first having the proper papers in hand _ before you hand over the money.

When you buy a dog that is represented as being eligible for American Kennel Club registration, you are entitled to receive an AKC application form properly filled out by the seller, which, when completed by you and submitted to the AKC with the proper fee, will enable you to register your dog.

If the application registration is not immediately availble, AKC rules stipulate that the seller must provide the buyer with a bill of sale or a written statement, signed by the seller, giving the dog's full breeding information as follows:

(1) Breed, sex and color of the dog. (2) Date of birth of the dog. (3) Registered names of the dog's sire and dam. (4) Name of the breeder. Do not accept a promise of later identification.

It is the buyer's responsibility to obtain this information if he or she intends to register the dog. If the seller cannot provide it, shop elsewhere. If the dog is ever bred its papers become important.

Without papers you have a beautiful dog with a wonderful personality. Count your blessings.

Guide's valuable _ and annual

We have an auto repair shop in Seminole. Some years back Action's Pat Fenner ran a list of automobile company headquarters to contact if you were having problems with a particular model that you couldn't get resolved at the local level.

We've had this list on a bulletin board in our waiting room. Our customers have used this list and come back to thank us for the good results they got by contacting the right person.

As you have probably guessed, our copy has disappeared.

You would be doing us an invaluable service if you would publish the list again. If that's not possible, could we get copies of these original lists, which were dated Dec. 28 and 29, 1984?

Thank you for any help you can provide.



Response: Glad you didn't say you are regular readers of our column.

Because the fact is, we run the list you mention every single year between Christmas and New Year's Day.

The list includes not only automobile manufacturers but other agencies to contact with consumer problems _ everything from advertising, charities and condominiums to nursing homes, magazine subscriptions and utilities.

We will send you a copy of our 1991 Guide to Consumer Services. Watch for an updated version at the end of this year.

Action solves problems and gets answers for you. If you have a question, or your own attempts to resolve a consumer complaint have failed, write: Times Action, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731, or call your Action number, 893-8171, to leave a recorded request for Action.

Requests will be accepted only by mail or on our voice mail system; calls cannot be returned. We will not be responsible for personal documents, so please send only photocopies. If your complaint concerns merchandise ordered by mail, we need copies of both sides of your canceled check.

We may require additional information or prefer to reply by mail; therefore, readers must provide a full mailing address, including ZIP code. Upon request, names will not be published.