1. Archive

Beach meters help pay for park costs

The Pinellas County beach access at 46th Avenue in St. Petersburg Beach has parking meters. The county park on Treasure Island at approximately 104th Avenue has no meters.

Why does Treasure Island get free parking but St. Petersburg Beach does not?

Angie Bunch

Response: You've got your facts skewed.

The beachfront across from Dolphin Village on St. Petersburg Beach is a Pinellas County beach access, but the beach park in Treasure Island belongs to the city of St. Petersburg. Both areas have parking meters.

According to St. Petersburg Parks Manager Cliff Footlick, the money collected from the city's beach meters doesn't even cover the costs of maintaining the park.

At one time St. Petersburg tried to give the park to Treasure Island, he said, but found that couldn't be done. The Treasure Island beach property had been left to St. Petersburg by a Colonel Brown who stipulated in his will that if the property were used for any other purpose or were leased, sold or given to anyone else, it would revert back to his heirs to do with as they pleased.

The ironic part is that most people don't even give St. Petersburg credit for the park; they think it belongs to Treasure Island or the county.

Next door's debris has

neighbor raising the roof

A company called Roof Systems did a roofing job on the house next door to my apartment building. During the course of the work, they continually threw shingles, nails and debris off the roof into my back yard.

I had a tarpaulin on my clothesline to dry and a piece of shingle sliced a big cut in it. My girlfriend was hanging laundry and a large nail went through her foot. She wound up with an infection because I could not afford to get her to the doctor. And I ended up spending nearly two hours cleaning up my yard.

The proprietor of Roof Systems, Edward McCullough, said he would bring a check for $45 to my house. Several phone calls to his office have gotten no results.

Please see if you can get what is owed to me.

Christopher G. Gaime

Response: McCullough says he was unable to pay you because he had no phone number or address. Since we sent him your address he says he has sent you a check for $45.

According to McCullough, he offered to send your girlfriend to his doctor, even give her a ride and pay for any treatment to her foot, but she refused.

Yachts by bridge belong

to retired businessman

Some time ago I wrote you concerning a subscription to a magazine that I was not getting. The magazine was no longer being published but I still had a lot of time left on my subscription.

You advised me to write to Publisher's Clearing House. I did and they have extended one of my other subscriptions.

Thank you for that.

Now could you please find the answer to another question? Who owns that very large yacht I see moored off the east end of the Howard Frankland Bridge. It's to your right when heading toward Tampa just before you turn off the first exit.

The yacht has been there for many years.


Response: The 90-foot Incredible Lady belongs to retired business executive Robert J. Campbell.

Campbell says he has had this yacht for six years. The vessels you saw in the same slip before were Campbell's earlier yachts.

Return mail to sender

if you can't donate

Please tell me how I can shake off those begging-for-money charities? I don't want their greeting cards. My mailbox is small and pulling out jammed up junk mail with arthritic hands is no picnic. But what do I see when I open my box?

Give, give, give, give, give.

I shared and gave all my life. Now I need my money, but they are sucking the marrow out of my bones.

Rose Schag

Response: We have a few suggestions:

Send back the return envelopes. Be sure to enclose the donation form or something containing your name and address and write across it in bold letters, "I have no money. Please remove me from your mailing list."

Limit your giving to a few organizations and stop sending money to every charity that sends a pitiful letter. That's what got you on all these mailing lists in the first place.

Mark "Refused, return to sender" on the envelopes and drop them in the nearest mailbox.

Action solves problems and gets answers for you. If you have a question, or your own attempts to resolve a consumer complaint have failed, write: Times Action, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg 33731, or call your Action number, 893-8171, to leave a recorded request for Action.

Requests will be accepted only by mail or on our voice mail system; calls cannot be returned. We will not be responsible for personal documents, so please send only photocopies. If your complaint concerns merchandise ordered by mail, we need copies of both sides of your canceled check.

We may require additional information or prefer to reply by mail; therefore, readers must provide a full mailing address, including ZIP code. Upon request, names will not be published.