1. Archive

Congressman's niece wins bid to revive suit

A niece of U.S. Rep. C.W. Bill Young won a round Friday in her legal battle to prove her stepgrandfather sexually assaulted her 20 years ago. Carrie Young sued Calvin F. Wiley in 1991 alleging that he sexually assaulted her in 1973, when she was 15. She also sued her uncle and other family members, accusing them of preventing her from reporting the abuse in order to protect her uncle's political career. In November 1991, a judge dismissed Ms. Young's complaint, ruling that the statute of limitations had expired. Six months later the Legislature changed the statute of limitations, and Ms. Young asked the 2nd District Court of Appeal to revive her complaint under the new law. Friday, the court agreed that the new law permits Ms. Young to revive her suit against her stepgrandfather _ but not other family members. "The Legislature . . . wanted increased availability of relief to plaintiffs who have been victims of certain forms of abuse in the past," the court ruled. Wiley of Pinellas Park was sentenced to 18 months' house arrest and 12 years' probation after pleading no contest in 1991 to attempted sexual battery of Ms. Young's stepsister.


MAN SENTENCED TO 17 YEARS FOR MOLESTING BOYS. A 20-year-old man who said he was a victim of childhood sexual abuse was sentenced to 17 years in prison Friday for molesting boys. "I'm sorry for everything that has happened," said Kevin Kinder, facing the judge with his girlfriend at his side. "I just want an opportunity to redeem myself." Kinder pleaded guilty in May to nine counts of performing a lewd and lascivious act in incidents involving four boys, ages 11 through 13. State sentencing guidelines recommended a prison term of 17 to 22 years. "I just don't want to see Kevin get out of jail, ever," said the mother of an 11-year-old victim. "I feel there's no mercy for someone like that." Her son was among the courtroom spectators. Tampa police said Kinder, a high school dropout, seduced the boys with roller-skating trips and cigarettes between May and October of 1992. He picked up one after the boy's bicycle had been stolen and met another, a runaway, at a fast-food restaurant. Kinder was molested as a child by a man now serving a prison term, his attorney said. Circuit Judge Debra Behnke said Kinder's prison term would be followed by 15 years of probation. He must complete a treatment program for sex offenders and pay for the victims' counseling.

PARTICIPANT IN SLAYING CONVICTED OF MURDER. Wiley Frederick Nelson was convicted Friday in Tampa for the second time of first-degree murder in the death of a retired garbage company executive. Nelson was first convicted in the murder of Emmett Vaughn Wilson in 1990, but his conviction was overturned by an appeals court that said he was denied the opportunity to fully question a crucial state witness during the trial. In his retrial in April, a jury convicted Nelson of conspiracy to commit murder but was unable to reach a verdict on the murder charge. Friday, a new jury found Nelson guilty of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of 25 years. Wilson was gunned down in his car at a north Tampa medical center in 1988. Those charged were his estranged wife, Betty Jean Wilson; the man who admitted being the triggerman, Kenneth McKenzie; and Nelson, called the middleman and getaway car driver. Mrs. Wilson pleaded no contest to a murder conspiracy charge and was released last year after serving part of a 10-year sentence. McKenzie was sentenced to life in prison.

FATHER CONVICTED OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE SENTENCED. A man convicted of having sexual activity with his 13-year-old daughter was sentenced Friday in Largo to 2{ years in prison, followed by six months' probation. He also was acquitted of three counts. Circuit Judge Bonnie S. Newton ordered that the man have no contact with his daughter, now 16. The 40-year-old man, who was in jail almost two years awaiting trial, will get credit for time served. The girl, whose promiscuity and drug and alcohol use were brought out at trial to the dismay of victim advocates and prosecutors, said she felt vilified. One juror said the girl's character did not come into play, but her credibility did. It was the girl's conflicting statements to authorities that swayed the decision.

MARKET DISQUALIFIED FROM TAKING FOOD STAMPS. A small St. Petersburg grocery store was disqualified from accepting food stamps this week after federal officials discovered evidence that employees were exchanging the coupons for cash. Federal officials also said employees at Harold's Market, 1145 12th Ave. S, allowed customers to use the food stamps to buy items prohibited under federal regulations. Those items included dish and laundry detergents, hand soap and laundry bleach, said officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition Service.


BANK WORKERS EVACUATED IN BOMB SCARE. Office workers were evacuated from the NationsBank building at 1111 N West Shore Blvd. during a bomb scare Friday. Tampa police Lt. Ken Dodge said the incident was a hoax. He said a man made an appointment for 10:30 a.m. Friday for a commercial loan. At 9:30 the man called to say he would be late for the appointment but would deliver his briefcase with loan papers to the bank. At 9:45 an unidentified person delivered the briefcase to the bank, Dodge said. The loan officer, who became suspicious when the man called back and asked if the briefcase had been opened, called police, police spokesman Scott Guffey said. A bomb squad was called in, Dodge said. Guffey said the building was evacuated about 11:30 a.m. He said bomb squad members found a hoax device with wires and batteries inside the briefcase. Employees eventually were let back into the building, but only the drive-through windows reopened for service Friday afternoon, a bank employee said.

2-YEAR-OLD UNHURT IN FALL FROM WINDOW. A 2-year-old north Tampa boy fell from a second story window Friday morning, but essentially was unharmed, authorities said. Hillsborough paramedics arrived at the Country Oaks apartment complex on Skipper Road about 6:15 a.m. to find that the toddler had fallen from an apartment window, county emergency medical officials said. The boy, Kyle Perez, was flown by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital. Hospital spokeswoman Cindy Tanner said Kyle had no visible injuries and was in good condition Friday afternoon. He is under observation and probably will go home today, she said.