1. Archive

Between cats and birds, law provides little relief

This man moved in across the street and he has a cat that he lets run loose. He says the leash law does not apply to his cat.

I already found three dead doves in my yard and one pigeon. The cat is out all night.

The woman behind me feeds the birds. Isn't there a law against feeding birds? The pigeons sit on my fence and my dog is getting allergic to the droppings.


Response: We take it you want to get rid of the birds, the lady who feeds them, the cat that kills them and maybe the man who lets the cat run loose.

And then you and your dog would live happily ever after.


More likely they would be replaced by mice and morons.

The leash law does not cover cats. You might try setting a cage in your yard to capture the feline. Take it to the SPCA and tell your neighbor he will have to go get it.

As for feeding birds, that is legal unless you can convince law enforcement officials that it is creating a health or safety hazard (canine allergies probably wouldn't qualify).

We can understand your losing patience with the mayhem and mess in your back yard. Unfortunately, if you can't stop it or live with it, your only recourse may be to move.

Their side of street is sunny at last

We had Carr & Son Masonry replace our driveway and sidewalk last spring. We also had all the city sidewalk along our property replaced because we wanted it all to look uniform.

The workers formed an expansion joint on one side of the driveway where it crossed the city sidewalk but not on the other side. A large crack formed there almost immediately.

When we pointed out the problem to Frank Carr, he cut an expansion joint on top of the crack. But because the cut is straight and the crack is not, his solution only made the problem worse. Now we have little pieces of sidewalk coming loose.

Carr then put a coating over that section of the sidewalk. He said the coating would fill the crack. The crack reformed the same day. Anyway, the coating is dark and does not match the rest of the sidewalk, so now we have an ugly, discolored, cracked section of sidewalk.

Foolishly, we paid for the work ($6,810) when the coating was applied in May. Since then, we have been trying to get that section of the sidewalk replaced.

We contacted Carr 10 times in the past eight months. His response is always, "We are really busy." Now he no longer accepts our phone calls.

We have given up on getting any satisfaction on our own and hope you can help us.

Robin and James Gamberel

Response: According to Frank Carr, the holdup was due to your insistence that the concrete used in the repair be taken from a concrete truck as opposed to other more expedient and acceptable, industry-standard methods of repair.

Once that requirement was eliminated, the repair work was completed.

Happy to hear you are satisfied with the repair.

Rule on guide dogs makes it clear

Your column of Jan. 31 says a Florida statute permits persons who are deaf, blind or otherwise disabled to be accompanied in all public accommodations by an "specially trained" dog guide. You quoted Mike Sapp of Paws With a Cause as concluding that a dog guide trained at home has the same rights as a school-trained dog.

That is not quite right.

The statute goes on to say, "The dog guide or service dog must be capable of being properly identified as being from a recognized school for seeing-eye, hearing-ear, service or guide dogs."

Susan Babcock, State Program Office

for the Division of Blind Services

Response: We stand corrected. The schooling requirement was recently added to the statute. We were using an old statute book.

The problem remains that no agency, local, state or federal, certifies or licenses dog guides. Certification is provided by the training schools _ but the schools are not certified by anyone. From what we are told, they are popping up all over.


We are working out our problems with the contractor. I think you got them acting on it and I thank you.

Mrs. Charles Hallden

Action solves problems and gets answers for you. If you have a question, or your own attempts to resolve a consumer complaint have failed, write: Times Action, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731, or call your Action number, 893-8171, to leave a recorded request for Action.

Requests will be accepted only by mail or on our voice mail system; calls cannot be returned. We will not be responsible for personal documents, so please send only photocopies. If your complaint concerns merchandise ordered by mail, we need copies of both sides of your canceled check.

We may require additional information or prefer to reply by mail; therefore, readers must provide a full mailing address, including ZIP code. Upon request, names will not be published.