1. Archive

20-year-old found on altar after party

Published Oct. 6, 2005

John Richard Moore thought his life was about to end Saturday night.

The 20-year-old told authorities that he had been doused with a liquid narcotic at a party and believed he was going to die. He decided to spend his last hours in the house of the Lord.

So Moore broke into St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church early Sunday, cleared the top of the altar, lay on it and waited for his maker to take him.

Moore, of 2406 Dothan Ave. in Spring Hill, did get taken away _ by sheriff's deputies.

Moore was charged with commercial burglary, resisting arrest with violence, battery on a law enforcement officer, possession of marijuana and introduction to contraband. He was being held Monday at the county jail in lieu of $32,500 bail.

"He wasn't on alcohol; he was on something else, if you get what I mean," said Arthur Muzer, the church maintenance man. Muzer went to the church, at 5030 Mariner Blvd., after the alarm company notified him that the building's alarm system had been triggered.

"I thought, "What a nut to stay around with that alarm system wailing like that,' " Muzer said. "I thought he'd be long gone."

According to police records, Moore broke into the church about 2:15 a.m., and Muzer arrived 10 minutes later. He turned on all of the lights, but all he noticed were two broken door windows.

Four sheriff's deputies found Moore lying on the altar.

Deputies had trouble apprehending Moore, police reports show. During the arrest, he kicked one officer in the right leg, a report says. He finally was handcuffed and restrained with leg irons.

When Moore got to the county jail, deputies removed the irons but had to put them back on because Moore became violent again and kicked a second officer in the head, reports show.

Once deputies calmed him down, they discovered a small plastic bag of marijuana in his right front pocket, records show.

Neither of the officers required medical help.

During an interview Sunday afternoon, Moore told authorities he didn't remember anything after he was sprayed with the drug.