Pocahontas was No. 1 at the North American box office, earning $30.5-million in its first weekend of wide release, according to Sunday's industry estimates.
Despite a marketing push that included a free screening for 100,000 people in New York's Central Park, Pocahontas did not top the record for an animated musical set last year by The Lion King, which earned $40.8-million in its first weekend. Both are Walt Disney movies.
The new film opened in eighth place last week in limited release.
Batman Forever dropped to second place after its record-setting opening weekend. The third Caped Crusader film, which stars Val Kilmer, had an estimated gross of $28.2-million.
Here are the Top 10 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters and their grosses for Friday through Sunday, according to preliminary estimates. Final figures are due today.
1. Pocahontas, $30.5-million.
2. Batman Forever, $28.2-million.
3. Congo, $7.7-million.
4. The Bridges of Madison County, $5.9-million.
5. Casper, $4.4-million.
6. Braveheart, $4-million.
7. Die Hard with a Vengeance, $3.6-million.
8. Crimson Tide, $3.1-million.
9. Forget Paris, $1.9-million.
10. While You Were Sleeping, $1.5-million.