1. Archive

Pine Hill drug sweep nets cocaine, guns and money

Deputies rammed down the door of a drug suspect's home in the Pine Hill area Thursday night, arrested the homeowner and seized crack cocaine, two guns and money.

The move culminated a weeklong drug sweep of Pine Hill by a task force of the Sheriff's Office and police in New Port Richey and Port Richey.

"I can't say for certain this house was supplying to Pine Hill, but they've got a path out back leading right to it," Sgt. Robert Sullivan said.

About 6 p.m., a half-dozen marked and unmarked sheriff's cars and Port Richey police units swarmed in front of the red-brick house at 5819 Queener St., near the end of the street. With a search warrant in hand, officials seized packaging and cutting equipment, plastic bags and an undisclosed amount of crack and money.

"We do plenty of crack-related searches of the east side (of Pasco), but in the past two years, we've seen many more on this side," Sullivan said.

Calvin J. Jones, the 44-year-old homeowner, was arrested during the search on charges of sale and possession of crack cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia. Other charges may also be filed.

Jeffery Charles Konrad, 38, of Bayonet Point was arrested on a charge of crack possession.

"He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and we found a rock on him," Sullivan said.

A third man in the house was released _ with a warning not to show up at the house again.

For a couple of hours, undercover narcotics officers wearing black hoods and gloves searched the house, as well as a red Mazda truck and a maroon Buick Century in the driveway.

Acting on tips from informants and complaints from neighbors, Port Richey police began watching the house about two months ago, Lt. Gordon Lennon said. About a month ago, officials said, activity at the house seemed to pick up.

Undercover agents made at least three $50 drug buys at the house to obtain probable cause for a search warrant.

"The kind of guy they were selling to would buy a rock, smoke it and come back two hours later," Sullivan said.

Up next:Correction