Five women have been admitted to The Citadel, the South Carolina military college that only last month decided to end its 154-year-old, male-only tradition.
A school official said Thursday that two of the five paid $150 reservation fees indicating they planned to attend, but just one had completed the admissions process.
Col. Terry Leedom, director of public affairs, said The Citadel would not reveal the names of the candidates who had paid. But he said one of the five admitted was Nancy Mellette, a party to a lawsuit filed against the state-funded institution because it had not admitted women.
Mellette has said publicly she intends to attend the U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School and not The Citadel.
The Citadel said it hoped to have information next week about how it would provide housing and other accommodations for females.