Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Bomb threats evacuate D.C. train station

Amtrak service was suspended for 2{ hours Saturday afternoon at Washington's Union Station after railroad officials received a bomb threat.

Amtrak and District of Columbia police evacuated about 1,000 people while they conducted a search.

No bombs were found and Amtrak service resumed at 5:30 p.m.

Amtrak Spokesman Rick Remington said four trains were held outside Washington until the situation was deemed safe. All trains leaving Washington were also put on hold.

Remington said Amtrak representatives received two telephone calls at 3:08 p.m. warning that an explosive device had been planted somewhere in Union Station.

Police found a suspicious-looking duffel bag near the Silver Star, which was scheduled to depart to Florida, Remington said. All passengers on that train, as well as everybody in the station, were then evacuated.

Police found the bag to be harmless.

Convention concerns

In the wake of Saturday's bombing at Centennial Olympic Park, San Diego Mayor Susan Golding called for an emergency meeting today of officials involved with security for the Aug.

12 Republican National Convention.

One topic of discussion will be whether to reverse a decision by city officials not to install metal detectors at the 2-acre site across the street from the convention center that has been designated as the official protest zone.

"That will be one of a lot of things we'll be reviewing," said San Diego Police Capt. David Bejarano, who is in charge of security for the convention.

Still, Bejarano said he did not anticipate any major changes. "We are very confident and very comfortable that we have a solid plan for security."

First with the news

CNN was the first television news organization to report on the explosion. On NBC, sports anchors Jim Lampley and Hannah Storm were interviewing U.S. swimmer Gary Hall Jr. while CNN was on the air at 1:35 a.m. with the "Breaking News."

About 15 minutes after CNN began its coverage, NBC was still showing Olympic swimming from earlier Friday.

Then Lampley and Storm came back on the air, with Lampley stating that all the video to follow would be labeled as live or taped.

CNN showed the first significant news footage at around 2 a.m.: The German TV interview with swimmer Janet Evans, with the explosion clearly being heard and felt.

NBC didn't air that tape until about an hour later.

By then, Tom Brokaw was anchoring NBC's reportage. The network was the first with the news that, before the explosion, security officers were asking people to clear Centennial Park because of a suspicious package.

Another very resonant image, videotaped by tourist Robert Gee and first shown on CNN, astoundingly captured the explosion itself _ in the center of the frame, with other tourists all around as the bomb went off and the reality hit home.


James Kallstrom, the FBI official in charge of the TWA Flight 800 investigation, said he has discerned no link so far between the jetliner explosion and the Atlanta bombing. Kallstrom also said none of the agents involved in the TWA case has been diverted to help with the Atlanta investigation. . . . Jack Mack and the Heart Attack was the band playing in Olympic Centennial Park when the pipe bomb went exploded. None of the band members were injured. . . . Likewise, Olympic officials said no athletes, officials or members of national delegations were among the injured.