(ran PINELLAS / HILLSBOROUGH edition)
Artificial Reef Text
13 Tarpon Springs Reef: Depth 26-28 feet.
Tarpon consists of large expanses of live productive bottom. Construction has been limited, so as not to destroy the natural habitat. All artificial reef material can be found in the vicinity of the south buoy.
Center buoy: N 28 deg. 8 min. 15.0 sec., W 82 deg. 55 min. 51.0 sec.
Loran: 14259.3, 44935.6
Compass heading: run 312 degrees for 7.6 nautical miles from Hurricane Pass Entrance Marker 2, or 270 degrees for 3.7 nautical miles from Anclote Anchorage South Entrance Marker 1.
14 Dunedin Reef: Depth 25-30 feet.
The high profile structures can be found 1000 feet north of the buoy. Pyramids can also be found 1000 feet south of the buoy.
Center buoy: N 28 deg. 3 min. 12.0 sec, w 82 deg. 54 min. 33.0 sec.
Loran: 14248.1, 44887.6
Compass heading: run 270 degrees for 4.4. nautical miles from Hurricane Pass Entrance Marker 2.
15 Clearwater Reef: depth 27-29 feet.
Clearwater reef is marked with one buoy in the center of the reef. Extensive construction of the high-profile reefs has been carried out in recent years. Use the buoy as a starting point, then head north, south, east or west. There is a small barge in the middle of the reef.
Center buoy: N 28 deg. 0 min. 57 sec., W 82 deg. 53 min. 42.0 sec.
Loran: 14243.5, 44859.4 (north east buoy)
Compass heading: run 316 degrees for 3.7 nautical miles from Clearwater Pass Entrance Bell Marker 1.
16 Rube Allyn: Depth 50 feet
This reef is home for a large steel barge, a prefabricated reef unit and numerous high-profile pyramid structures. To find our "twin towers" start from the south buoy and head north for two hundred feet. This will place you on a twin peak pyramid measuring about 80-feet long and 50-feet wide. The peaks of the pyramids are 18- to 20-feet high and have a diameter of 95 feet.
Center Buoy: N 27 degrees. 55 min. 36.0 sec., W 83 degrees, 1 min., 24.0 sec.
LORAN: 14212.3, 44886.6
Compass Heading: run 256 degrees for 9.8 nautical miles from Clearwater Pass Entrance Bell Marker 1.
17 Pinellas (Number 2) Reef: Depth 80 feet
Two 180-foot steel vessels are on this deep-water site. The D.T. Sheridan is considered on of the west coast's best wreck dives. This is also the final resting place of the Coast Guard Cutter Blackthorn.
Center Buoy: N 27 deg. 52 min. 30 sec., W 83 deg. 11 min. 24 sec.
Tug Sheridan: LORAN: 14181.9, 44941.8
Compass Heading: run 255 degrees for 10 nautical miles from Clearwater Pass Entrance Bell Marker 1.
18 Indian Shores Reef: Depthh 44-46 feet
This site is marked by two World War II Navy Landing Ships (LSMs) and a salt hopper barge. The 200-foot plus LSMs were filled with scrap cable and sunk. One LSM is found 100 feet east of the south buoy, while the other is located 100 feet west of the center buoy. A more recent addition, place din 1984 is a 240-foot salt hopper barge which can be found about 200 fet southwest of the north buoy.
Center Buoy: N 27 deg. 51 min. 24 sec., W 83 deg. 01 min. 48 sec.
LORAN: 14200.0, 44859.7
Compass Heading: run 235 degrees for 11.9 nautical miles from Clearwater Pass Entrance Bell Marker 1, or 292 degrees for 13.6 nautical miles from Johns Pass Entrance Marker.
19 Madeira Beach Reef: Depth 30-33 feet
Most of the material on Madeira Reef is widley scattered and has a low profile (1-2 feet).
Center Buoy: N 27 deg. 46 min. 18 sec., W 82 deg. 54 min., 54 sec.
LORAN: 14201.0, 44768.0
Compass Heading: run 270 degrees for 6.3 nautical miles from Johns Pass.
20 Treasure Island Reef: Depth 29-33 feet.
This was the first artificial reef to receive high profile pyramid reefs. These structures can be found 1000 feet south of the buoy. From that spot run approximately 200 feet due north to run over "The Wall." This is a group of 35-40 foot long pilings stacked to resemble a wall.
Center Buoy: N 27 deg. 44 min, 30.0 sec, W 82 deg. 52 min. 51.0 sec.
LORAN: 14200.8, 44738.7
Compass Heading: run 248 degrees for 4.8 nautical miles from Johns Pass, or 304 degrees for 7.2 nautical miles from Pass-A-Grille Channel Entrance Marker Buoy 2.
21 St. Pete Beach Reef: Depth 34-36 feet.
A large part of the Old Corey Causeway was placed here in 1976, laying a foundation for future construction. In 1995, the U.S. Army sunk 10 10 surplus tanks, which are located about 100 feet west of the center buoy.
Center Buoy: N 27 deg. 40 min. 36. sec., W 82 deg. 51 min. 45 sec.
LORAN: 14192.9, 44704.1
Compass Heading: run 270 degrees for 5 nautical miles from Pass-a-Grille Channel Entrance Marker Buoy 2.
Source: Pinellas County Artificial Reef Guide
To get a copy: contact Pinellas County Department of Solid Waste Operations, 3095 114th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, FL 33716, or call (813) 464-7565
Public boat ramps
1. Phillippe Park, 2355 Bayshore Dr. N., Safety Harbor
2. Lowry Park Boat Ramp, Sligh Ave., Tampa
3. Rocky Creek Boat Ramp, Rocky Creek Drive, Upper Tampa Bay
4. Safety Harbor Marina & Pier, South Boulevard & Bayshore, Safety Harbor
5. Courtney Campbell Causeway, SR 60 (Westbound), Tampa
6. Marjorie Park and Marina, 115 Columbia Dr. (Davis Island), Tampa
7. Belleair Boat Ramp, 3900 W. Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs
8. Davis Island Boat Ramp, Martinique Ave.(S. End), Tampa
9. Indian Rocks Beach Boat Ramp, 15th Ave. and Bayshore Blvd., Indian Rocks Beach
10. Gandy Boat Ramp, Gandy Bridge, East Causeway, Tampa
11. Indian Rocks Beach Boat Ramp, 3rd Ave. & First St., Indian Rocks Beach
12. Ballast Point Park, Ballast Point & Interbay Drive, Tampa
13. Gandy Bridge Marina, 13050 Gandy Blvd., St. Petersburg
14. Williams Park, 6401 Riverview Drive, East Tampa
15. Sunlit Cove Park, Bay Street NE & Sunlit Cove Drive, St. Petersburg
16. Picnic Island Beach and Park, End of Commerce Road, Port Tampa
17. Park Boulevard Boat Ramp, Park Blvd & Gulf Blvd., Indian Shores
18. Madeira Beach Municipal Marina, 503 15oth Ave., Madeira Beach
19. War Veterans Memorial Park, 9600 Bay Pines Blvd., St. Petersburg
20. Crisp Park, Poplar St. & 35th Ave. NE, St. Petersburg
21. Coffee Pot Park, 1st. St & 31st Ave. NE, St. Petersburg
22. Jungle Prada, Parke Street & Elbow Lane N, St. Petersburg
23. 123rd Avenue Ramp, 123rd Avenue & Lagoon Lane, Treasure Island
24. Demens Landing South, 1st. Ave. S & Bayshore Drive, St. Petersburg
25. Apollo Beach Boat Ramp, Apollo Beach Blvd., Apollo Beach
26. Treasure Island Public Boat Ramp, Gulf Blvd. & 100 Ave., Treasure Island
27. Egan Park, 9101 Blind Pass Road, St. Petersburg Beach
28. Treasure Island Boat Ramp, Gulf Blvd. and 84th Ave., Treasure Island
29. Bay Winds Sports Motel, Corey Avenue and Bay Street, St. Petersburg Beach
30. E.G. SImmons Park, 2401 19th Ave. NW, Ruskin
31. Gulfport Marina Complex, Gulfport
32. Grandview Park, 6th St. & 38th Avenue S, St. Petersburg
33. Bahia Beach Marina, 3301 Sea Grape Drive, Ruskin
34. Shell Point Marina, 3324 West Shell Road, Ruskin
35. Ruskin Commongood Park, 1st Ave. NW & 2nd St., Ruskin
36. Maximo Park, 34th St. S & Pinellas Point Drive, St. Petersburg
37. St. Petersburg Beach Boat Ramp, East 33rd Ave., St. Petersburg Beach
38. O'Neills Skyway Boat Basin, 6701 34th St. S, St. Petersburg
39. Bay Vista Park, 4th St. & Pinellas Point Drive, On Tampa Bay
40. Domino Boat Ramp, 22md Ave. SW & 8th St. SW, Ruskin
41. Sun City Heritage Park, US Hgwy 41 N, Ruskin
42. Cockroach Bay, Cockroach Bay Road, Ruskin
43. Wildcat Creek Park, Stephens Road & Little Manatee River, Ruskin
44. Fort DeSoto Park, 3500 Pinellas Bayway S., Tirra Verde
45. Piney Point Boat Ramp, West End of Piney Point Road, Port Manatee
46. Bishop Harbor Boat Ramp, Biship Harbor Road, on Bishop Harbor
47. Tropic Isles Marina, 3100 10th St., Palmetto
48. Fort Hammer Boat Ramp, Fort Hammer Road, 3 miles S of Parrish
49. 63rd St. Memorial Park, East End 63rd St., Homes Beach
50. Highland Shores Boat Ramp, 351 Shore Drive, Ellenton
51. Riverside Park, 801 Riverside Drive, Palmetto
52. Warners Bayou County Park, NW Riverview Boulevard, Bradenton
53. Kingfish Boat Ramp, Manatee Ave., W of Intracoastal, Bradenton
54. Highway 64 Boat Ramp, Hwy 64 & Braden River, Bradenton
55. Seminole Boat Ramp, 201 Seminole St., Seminole
56. 69 Bay Esplanade, Clearwater Beach Rec Center
57. Sunset Beach Boat Ramp, Sunset Beach Park, Tarpon Springs
58. Craig Park Boat Ramp, Craig Park, Tarpon Springs
1. Bay Pier, Fort DeSoto, (813) 864-3345
2. Gulf Pier, Fort DeSoto, (813) 864-9937
3. Ballast Point Pier, Tampa, (941) 831-9585
4. Pier 60, Clearwater, (813) 446-0060
5. Oldsmar Pier, Oldsmar, (813) 855-5588.
6. The Pier, St. Petersburg, (813) 894-9375
7. Redington Long Pier, Redington Shores, (813) 391-9398
8. Safety Harbor City Pier, Safety Harbor, (813) 726-0780
9. North Skyway Fishing Pier, St. Petersburg, (813) 865-0668
10. South Skyway Fishing Pier, Bradenton, (941) 729-0117
11. Williams Park, Gibsonton, (813) 272-5840.