1. The Long Road Home (Danielle Steel) A woman who grew up in a fractured family tries to find the courage to confront the past.
2. Black and Blue (Anna Quindlen) A woman flees to Florida with her young son to start a new life.
3. Pandora (Anne Rice) A 2000-year-old vampire recounts her experiences, from Imperial Rome to 20th-century Paris and New Orleans.
4. The Street Lawyer (John Grisham) A young lawyer comes to terms with himself after discovering his prestigious firm's dirty secret.
5. Message In a Bottle (Nicholas Sparks) After finding a seaborne bottle containing an enigmatic letter, a divorced woman encounters love.
6. Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier) A wounded Confederate soldier journeys home toward the end of the Civil War to meet an old love and a new world.
7. Paradise (Toni Morrison) A small black utopia in rural Oklahoma experiences tragedy and regeneration.
8. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) The life of a young woman in pre-war Kyoto, Japan.
9. Homeport (Nora Roberts) An art expert's troubles lead her to seek counsel from a seductive art thief.
10. Toxin (Robin Cook) When his daughter becomes seriously ill after eating fast food, a physician takes on a hospital and the meat industry.
1. Tuesdays With Morrie (Mitch Albom) A sportswriter tells of his weekly visits to his old college mentor, who was near death's door.
2. Talking to Heaven (James Van Praagh) A "world-famous medium" discusses communication with the other side.
3. Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt) An Irish-American writer recalls his childhood.
4. The Gifts of the Jews (Thomas Cahill) What Western civilization owes an ancient nomadic tribe.
5. Spin Cycle (Howard Kurtz) A journalist reports on "the Clinton propaganda machine."
6. The Millionaire Next Door (Thomas J. Stanley) An analysis of the lives of wealthy Americans reveals that they have seven characteristics in common.
7. Amazing Grace (Kathleen Norris) A poet reflects on her discovery of religious faith and the meaning of the language.
8. Aphrodite (Isabel Allende) A novelist celebrates the pleasures of food and sex.
9. Conversations With God: Book 1 (Neale Donald Walsch) The author addresses questions of life and love, good and evil, guilt and sin.
10. Into Thin Air (Jon Krakauer) A journalist's account of his ascent of Mount Everest in 1996, the deadliest season in history.
Advice, how-to and miscellaneous
1. The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom (Suze Orman) Ways to manage your money now and in the future.
2. Simple Abundance (Sarah Ban Breathnach) Advice for women seeking to improve the way they look at themselves.
3. Eight Weeks to Optimum Health (Andrew Weil) A physician's diet, exercise and psychological program.
4. In The Meantime (Iyanla Vanzant) Ways to find what you truly need, particularly "the love that you want."