1. The Long Road Home (Danielle Steel) A woman who grew up in a fractured family tries to find the courage to confront the past.
2. You Belong To Me (Mary Higgins Clark) A popular radio talk-show host finds herself endangered when she undertakes to expose a killer.
3. Black and Blue (Anna Quindlen) After her husband turns violent, a woman flees to Florida with her young son to start a new life.
4. Message In a Bottle (Nicholas Sparks) After finding a seaborne bottle containing an enigmatic letter, a divorced woman encounters love.
5. The Street Lawyer (John Grisham) A young lawyer comes to terms with himself after discovering his prestigious firm's dirty secret.
6. Pandora (Anne Rice) A vampire recounts her experiences, from Imperial Rome to 20th-century Paris and New Orleans.
7. Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier) A wounded Confederate soldier journeys home to meet an old love and a new world.
8. Toxin (Robin Cook) When his daughter becomes seriously ill after eating fast food, a physician takes on a hospital and the meat industry.
9. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) The life of a young woman in pre-war Kyoto, Japan.
10. A Patchwork Planet (Anne Tyler) Estranged from his affluent family, a self-destructive underachiever tries to cope with life and love.
1. The Millionaire Next Door (Thomas J. Stanley) An analysis of the lives of wealthy Americans shows they have seven characteristics in common.
2. Tuesdays With Morrie (Mitch Albom) A sportswriter tells of his weekly visits to his old college mentor, who was near death's door.
3. Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt) An Irish-American writer recalls his childhood.
4. Talking to Heaven (James Van Praagh) A "world-famous medium" discusses communication with the other side.
5. The Gifts of the Jews (Thomas Cahill) What Western civilization owes an ancient nomadic tribe.
6. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (John Berendt) The mysterious death of a young man in Savannah, Ga.
7. The Man Who Listens to Horses (Monty Roberts) The memoirs of a professional horse trainer.
8. Aphrodite (Isabel Allende) A novelist celebrates the pleasures of food and sex.
9. Conversations With God: Book 1 (Neale Donald Walsch) The author addresses questions of life and love, good and evil, guilt and sin.
10. Spin Cycle (Howard Kurtz) A journalist reports on how the "Clinton propaganda machine" deals with scandals and the press.
Advice, how-to and miscellaneous
1. The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom (Suze Orman) Ways to manage your money now and in the future.
2. Simple Abundance (Sarah Ban Breathnach) Advice for women seeking to improve the way they look at themselves.
3. Eight Weeks to Optimum Health (Andrew Weil) A physician's diet, exercise, and psychological program.
4. In the Meantime (Iyanla Vanzant) Ways to find what you truly need, particularly "the love that you want."
1. Pretend You Don't See Her (Mary Higgins Clark) A chance witness to a murder must live anonymously to save her life.
2. Sanctuary (Nora Roberts) A photographer, coming to grips with her past, returns to the Georgia inn that her family operates.
3. A Thin Dark Line (Tami Hoag) A Louisiana deputy's determination to correct a botched murder case carries her into a morass of treachery.
4. Here On Earth (Alice Hoffman) Returning to her Massachusetts hometown after 19 years, a woman encounters her old love.
5. Plum Island (Nelson DeMille) A detective probes the murder of a Long Island couple who may have been involved in germ warfare research.
1. Into Thin Air (Jon Krakauer) A journalist's account of his ascent on Mount Everest in 1996, the deadliest season in history.
2. James Cameron's Titanic (Ed W. Marsh) A lavishly illustrated account of the making of the film.
3. A Night to Remember (Walter Lord) A historian's account of the Titanic disaster.
4. Personal History (Katharine Graham) The autobiography of the former publisher of the Washington Post and capital grande dame.
5. Under The Tuscan Sun (Frances Mayes) A celebration of life in the Italian countryside by an American poet.