Juninho and Rai were cut from Brazil's team Tuesday when coach Mario Zagallo announced his 22-player roster.
Defender Marcio Santos, a member of the 1994 championship team, was among those picked, even though he hasn't played on the national team for a year.
Zagallo named Brazil's probable starting team for the World Cup opener against Scotland on June 10: goalkeeper Claudio Taffarel; defenders Cafu, Junior Baiano, Aldair and Roberto Carlos; midfielders Dunga, Cesar Sampaio, Giovanni, Rivaldo; and forwards Romario and Ronaldo.
"That's to end speculation," said Zagallo, hounded by fans and strangers in the weeks leading up to Tuesday's announcement.
Nine players return from 1994: Taffarel, Cafu, Aldair, Dunga, Romario, Ronaldo, Marcio Santos, Bebeto and Leonardo.
Zagallo called two players for each position except for right-wing defender Cafu. He will take three goalkeepers, using Carlos Germano and Dida as backups.
Juninho, who plays for Atletico de Madrid in Spain, returned to action Sunday after recovering from a broken leg. He was dropped in favor of Giovanni.
Rai, a midfielder for Paris-St. Germain, was a disappointment on the '94 team and didn't play well last week against Argentina.
Rounding out the reserves are defenders Goncalves and Ze Roberto; forward Edmundo; and midfielders Doriva, Flavio Conceicao and Denilson, who lost his starting job to Rivaldo.
IN THE BAGGIO: Roberto Baggio might get a return trip to the World Cup after all.
Italy coach Cesare Maldini has penciled in the 31-year-old playmaker as a reserve forward.
Baggio was Italy's star at the 1994 World Cup but fell out of favor and has appeared in just one game for the Azzurri in the past three years. He has five goals in his past three league games to raise his total to 19 for the season and 148 for his career, tops among active players. If Baggio does make the roster, which Maldini is set to announce May 22, it likely means Chelsea's Gianfranco Zola and Parma's Enrico Chiesa would be left at home.
In London, former English star Justin Fashanu, wanted in the United States on charges of sexually assaulting a teenage boy in Maryland, died by hanging.
Scotland Yard said an autopsy confirmed the cause of death and suspect a suicide. Further tests will be carried out leading to an inquest.
The former Nottingham Forest player apparently fled to Britain while Maryland police were searching for him in connection with an alleged assault after a party at his apartment March 25. He was charged April 3 with second-degree sexual assault, first-degree assault and second-degree assault. Under Maryland law, the sex offense carries a maximum 20-year jail term.
NEW SCOTTISH LEAGUE: Scotland's top 10 clubs have broken away from the Scottish Football League, a move aimed at controlling television and sponsorship rights. The Scottish Football Association ratified the breakaway league, which will be led by Glasgow rivals Rangers and Celtic. The league starts next season.
_ TIMES WIRES