1. Archive

Bike stolen from boy, 13, injured in fire

Published Sep. 28, 2005

(ran SS edition of METRO & STATE)

After 13-year-old David Shaw was seriously burned in a fire in his garage last March, he learned how giving some people can be. An example is the company that gave him a bike to replace the one he lost in the fire.

This week David saw the other side of human nature. That new bike, a Huffy Ironman, was stolen Wednesday from the family garage, his mother said.

"He's really upset about it," David's mother, Gail, said Thursday. "As if he hasn't lost enough this year."

David was doing his chores in his parent's garage on 2972 Clubhouse Drive one morning in March when he saw a book of matches and lit one, unaware that there was an open gas container in the room.

An explosion occurred, and David suffered severe burns over most of his body and was hospitalized for more than a month.

David's aunt told a bicycle manufacturer about the fire and his recovery, and the company came through with a new bike.

That bike was sitting against the back wall of the garage on Wednesday, Mrs. Shaw said. David thought his sister had taken the bike, but when she arrived home without it, the family realized someone had taken it.