1. A Man in Full (Tom Wolfe) Life in Atlanta on the cusp of the millennium, as Old South values collide with a new world.
2. Bag of Bones (Stephen King) A series of terrifying events besets a best-selling novelist four years after his wife's sudden death.
3. Rainbow Six (Tom Clancy) John Clark, heading an international task force, investigates terrorist incidents.
4. Mirror Image (Danielle Steel) Twin sisters experience quite dissimilar lives in New York and France early in this century.
5. The Simple Truth (David Baldacci) An appeal by a man serving a life sentence for murder creates chaos in Washington's legal community.
6. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) Five female characters narrate this novel set in the Belgian Congo.
7. When the Wind Blows (James Patterson) A young girl helps a widow and an FBI agent uncover a deadly plot.
8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (J.K. Rowling) A Scottish boy finds his fortune attending a school of witchcraft.
9. The Vampire Armand (Anne Rice) The progress of an eternally young man from Constantinople to New Orleans.
10. A Night Without Armor (Jewel Kilcher) The singer-songwriter's poems contemplate love, family and Alaska.
1. The Greatest Generation (Tom Brokaw) The lives of men and women who came of age during the Depression and World War II.
2. The Century (Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster) An account of the 20th century.
3. Tuesdays With Morrie (Mitch Albom) A sportswriter tells of his weekly visits to his old college mentor, who was near death's door.
4. Blind Man's Bluff (Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew with Annette Lawrence Drew) American submarine espionage from the early Cold War years to the present.
5. The Professor and the Madman (Simon Winchester) How a lunatic and a murderer helped write the Oxford English Dictionary.
6. The American Century (Harold Evans with Gail Buckland and Kevin Baker) An illustrated political history of the 20th century.
7. We Interrupt This Broadcast (Joe Garner) How radio and television reported historic events over the past 60 years.
8. For the Love of the Game (Michael Jordan) From college basketball star to NBA superstar: a profusely illustrated memoir.
9. The Endurance (Caroline Alexander) Ernest Shackleton's 1914 Antarctic expedition.
10. A Walk In the Woods (Bill Bryson) A journalist finds beauty and humor while hiking the Appalachian Trail.