1. Archive

6 injured, 2 critically, in water park accident

Two people remained hospitalized in critical condition Sunday after a weekend amusement park accident that left them trapped beneath a flipped raft.

Six people _ a family of four and their two friends _ were hurt in the accident Saturday night on Riverside Park's Blizzard River ride. Hospital officials said the injuries ranged from "bumps and bruises to near drowning."

The most seriously hurt were John Pascone of Dayville, Conn., and Susan Messier, 27, of Coventry, R.I.

Park officials said the fiberglass-and-rubber raft overturned about 50 feet from the ride's end. The six were apparently strapped into the raft and may have been trapped face down in about 2{ feet of water.

A ride operator saw the accident and help arrived within a minute, park spokesman Ron Sevart said.

In March, a woman was killed and 10 people were injured when a raft flipped on a ride at Six Flags Over Texas. Riverside and Six Flags are owned by Premier Parks of Oklahoma City.

Premier spokeswoman Terrie Ward said the rides were constructed by different manufacturers and there have been no other similar accidents at other Premier-owned parks.

Mothballed reactor

finishes river run

RICHLAND, Wash. _ A decommissioned 1,000-ton nuclear reactor vessel finished its voyage up the Columbia River on Sunday, docking safely just miles from a burial site for radioactive waste.

It took about 36 hours for two tugs to bring the vessel, emptied of its uranium fuel, up 270 miles of river from the dismantled Trojan Nuclear Plant west of Portland, Ore. That included a two-hour precautionary stop early Sunday at Pasco to wait for daylight on the last 10-mile stretch.

"It's been very routine," said Steve Nichols, project manager for Portland General Electric, the utility decommissioning the reactor.

From the river port of Benton, the reactor vessel was to be towed about 30 miles, partially on public highway, to its burial site at the federal Hanford Nuclear Reservation. It was mounted on a 16-axle trailer with 320 wheels to support its enormous weight.

It will take about three months to get the reactor vessel buried in a 45-foot-deep trench, according to US Ecology, which manages the disposal site.

Report: Anger over routes

may have led to shootings

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. _ The man accused of killing three people in suburban Pelham was apparently angry over his assigned trucking routes, the Birmingham News reported Sunday.

Alan Eugene Miller is charged with capital murder in the Thursday shootings at Ferguson Enterprises and Post Airgas.

Authorities have not commented on a possible motive for the killings of Lee Holdbrooks and Christopher Scott Yancy at Ferguson and the shooting minutes later of Terry Jarvis, a former co-worker of Miller, at Post.

However, officials have said they believe the killings were not random, noting two other workers at the companies were unharmed.

Chad Ingram, a friend of Holdbrooks, said Miller's anger involved job assignments at Ferguson, the News reported. The company is a wholesale distributor serving the construction industry.

"That guy got mad because he wasn't getting the (delivery) routes he wanted," Ingram told the paper. "He was thinking Lee was getting better routes."

Miller and Holdbrooks were both route drivers for Ferguson. Yancy was a dispatcher.

"I guess (Miller) felt Scott and Lee were in cahoots about (Holdbrooks) getting a better route," Ingram told the paper.

The Shelby County district attorney would not confirm Ingram's account, but said Saturday that it was consistent with what has been said in court.