Jason Respert, considered the state's top football prospect before Florida authorities charged him with attempted sexual battery and burglary, is not expected to sign a letter of intent soon, his high school coach said.
"As important as football is to Jason and as needed as a college scholarship would be to his family our first and only priority is to clear Jason's name," Northside coach Conrad Nix said Tuesday.
Respert, 18, had indicated he would sign, possibly with Tennessee or Georgia. The spring signing period extends until April 1, and Respert could be granted a scholarship anywhere in the fall if the case is resolved.
NOTRE DAME: This time, the last-minute news on signing day gave coach Bob Davie a reason to smile. Notre Dame's freshman class of 2000, which could have been viewed as a talented but incomplete group, was boosted by the signing-day commitments of two significant recruits.
Carlyle Holiday, a quarterback from San Antonio who also considered Nebraska, committed to the Irish. Abram Elam, a quarterback and defensive back from Riviera Beach, who had been recruited by Florida, Florida State and Miami, also signed a letter of intent with the Irish.
One year after the shocking rejection of the Irish by C.J. Leak, who signed with Wake Forest, Notre Dame filled its most publicized need with four quarterbacks among 18 signees.
Two of the passers: Matt LoVecchio of Franklin Lakes, N.J., who committed last year, and Jared Clark of Sarasota Cardinal Mooney, one of four Floridians in the class.
_ TIMES WIRES