Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Man charged with killing ex-girlfriend

Detectives have yet to establish a motive in the death of the woman whose body was found Monday in her Largo apartment.

Bloody fingerprints led detectives to charge with murder Thursday the former boyfriend of a woman whose body was found submerged in a bathtub.

According to police, the fingerprints matched those of Thomas A. Iaquinta, who befriended Vickie Lewis several years ago when they lived in the same Largo condominium complex. The fingerprints were found in Lewis' apartment.

Iaquinta, 51, of 12760 Indian Rocks Road was arrested Thursday and charged with first-degree murder. He was being held at Pinellas County Jail without bail.

Lewis, 45, was found dead Monday in her apartment at the Canterbury Villa complex at 1200 Seminole Blvd. She had moved to the one-bedroom apartment about two weeks earlier.

Iaquinta told police he went to her apartment shortly after 5 p.m. and found her body in the bathtub.

She was clothed and in a tub half-full of bloody water. There also was blood in the living room, police said.

Largo detective Steve McMullen said Lewis, who was unemployed, was hit on the head with a blunt object and strangled. She was then put in the bathtub, with her head submerged.

Autopsy results were incomplete, he said, and it was uncertain whether she was alive when put in the tub, he said.

She died sometime between late Sunday night and early Monday morning. McMullen said no motive for the killing has been established.

A divorcee, Lewis became acquainted with Iaquinta while living at the New Atlantis Club, a gated condominium complex on Indian Rocks Road. They lived in separate units.

Police say the two were together in the hours before she died.

"It was mostly an off relationship at this point," McMullen said. "They were together at her apartment the evening of Mother's Day."

Iaquinta, an auto body repairman, told police he was too distraught to stay after finding Lewis' body Monday and went home. A maintenance employee at the complex called police. It was unclear if anything was missing from her apartment, McMullen said. There was no forced entry, and a sliding glass door leading to her rear patio was open.