1. Archive

Part 7: A consumer guide to save

This is the seventh installment of Action's clip-and-save Guide to Consumer Services.


Publishers Clearing House Consumer Magazine Action Line (for subscription complaints, including those not purchased through Publishers Clearing House), (800) 645-9242; Web site: http: //


U.S. Postal Service, Consumer Advocate, 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC 20260-2200, (202) 268-2284, (800) 275-8777 (ASK-USPS); Web site:

U.S. Postal Inspector, (813) 281-5200.

ConsumerLine, Direct Marketing Association, 1111 19th St. NW, Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20036 (for complaints regarding mail, phone or Internet transactions); Web site: http://, click on "consumers."

Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008 (to have your name removed from the following types of national mail: catalogs, major non-profit solicitations, financial services, book and music clubs, magazine and sweepstakes offers, major retailers); Web site:, click on "consumers."


Federation of Manufactured Home Owners of Florida Inc., P.O. Box 5350, Largo, FL 33779-5350; (727) 530-7539; Web site:

Florida Manufactured Housing Association, 2958 Wellington Circle N, Suite 100, Tallahassee, FL 32308, (850) 222-4011; Web site:

Mobile Home Construction, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 4033 E Fowler Ave., Tampa, FL 33617, (813) 631-5382 (regulates mobile homes and recreational vehicle construction; helps consumers with structural problems during first-year warranty period); Web site: http://www.hsmv.state.

Bureau of Mobile Home Regulation, Divison of Florida Land Sales, Condominiums and Mobile Homes, (800) 646-0444.


Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Consumer Services; (800) 435-7352 (HELP-FLA) (for complaints against intrastate movers and to get a copy of its "Household Moving Within Florida" guide before hiring a local/intrastate mover); Web site: http://

For interstate moves (between states), the moving company must, by law, provide you with a free booklet, "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move." It is available on the Department of Transportation's Office of Motor Carriers' Web site: factsfigs/moving.htm.


Florida Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control (Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services), (850) 922-7011 (DACS Mosquito Control); (850) 921-4177 (pest control, contact field offices listed below first).

State entomologists:

Citrus and Hernando, (352) 955-2270;

Hillsborough and Polk, (727) 507-4151.

Pinellas and Pasco, (727) 507-4152.

National Pesticides Telecommunications Network, (800) 858-7378 (for concerns about pesticide toxicity); Web site:

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, (800) 435-7352 (HELP-FLA) (for complaints); Web site: http://


U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission hotline, (800) 638-2772; Web site: http://www.

Action solves problems and gets answers for you. If you have a question, or your own attempts to resolve a consumer complaint have failed, write Times Action, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731, or call your Action number, (727) 893-8171, or, outside of Pinellas, (800) 333-7505, ext. 8171, to leave a recorded request.

Requests will be accepted only by mail or voice mail; calls cannot be returned. We will not be responsible for personal documents, so please send only photocopies. If your complaint concerns merchandise ordered by mail, we need copies of both sides of your canceled check.

We may require additional information or prefer to reply by mail; therefore, readers must provide a full mailing address, including ZIP code. Names of letter writers will not be omitted except in unusual circumstances. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.