See art in the making as north Pinellas artists invite the public into their studios for the ninth annual Studio Waltz, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday in Dunedin and nearby communities.
Studios normally closed to the public become galleries for a day. Visitors can see art in progress and for sale. They can discuss the work and ask questions about the creative process. Some artists will offer demonstrations.
In addition to studios, the Dunedin Fine Art Center and several galleries regularly open to the public are participating.
The event is free. Start at any location and pick up a brochure with detailed directions to all (we've given directions to those hardest to find). Participating artists and art centers, with numbers corresponding to the map, are:
1. Loyd and Diane Jones, 3839 Shore Blvd., Oldsmar. Sculpture and handmade paper. Directions: From Clearwater, take SR 580 heading east. Cross bridge; take fifth right (Phoenix Avenue); left on Shore Boulevard.
2. Dino Kotopoulis, 1600 S 10th St., Safety Harbor. Whimsical sculpture. Directions: Turn east on SR 590 behind Hess gas station. Take first right into South/Southwest metal shop.
3. Roger Bansemer Studio, 2352 Alligator Creek Road, Clearwater. Paintings, prints, books. Directions: From Belcher Road, turn east on Palmetto (three blocks north of NE Coachman); follow signs.
4. Jenny English and Mario A. Ventura, 260 Aberdeen St., Dunedin. Lampwork glass beads.
5. Trailside Art Colony, 464 Douglas Ave., Dunedin. 15 artists working together in studio space include Brooke Allison (pastel), Cathy Bergmann (mixed media), Mari Borsuk (watercolor) and Don Naumann (photography).
6. A.A. Burnett, 637 Douglas Ave., Dunedin. Photography.
7. June Harben, 527 Main St., Dunedin. Pastels.
8. Judy Vienneau and Rick Tuisku, Snooty Judy's, 514 Skinner Blvd. (SR 580 at Highland Avenue), Dunedin. Mixed media, metal and cast sculpture. Directions: Skinner Boulevard is SR 580 extension, two blocks east of Alt. 19.
9. Carol Sackman, 1524 Alamo Lane, Dunedin. Whimsical art on unconventional surfaces.
10. Steve Littlefield, Susan Rollins Gehring, Melissa Miller Nece and Lin Carte, Dunedin Fine Art Center, 1143 Michigan Blvd. Linoleum block reduction prints, intaglio prints, drawings, paintings.
11. Lois Rector and Maryellen Tully, 711 Sparrow Ave., Palm Harbor. All media on paper and silk painting. Directions from south: Take Alt. 19 three blocks past Alderman Road to Sparrow Avenue; turn right.
12. Barbara and Ira Burhans, 110 Peterson Lane, Indian Bluff Island, Palm Harbor. Wheel-thrown pottery and paper casting. Directions from south: Take Alt. 19 1.1 mile north of Alderman to DeSoto, turn left on Oceanview, left on Phillips to Augusta, right on Peterson.