Recent releases recommended by Times film critic Steve Persall
1. A Hard Day's Night _ The best movie in theaters this weekend is 36 years old. Some boy band called the Beatles romp through London with a few tunes. Now showing only at Veterans 24 in Tampa.
2. Cast Away _ More than a gussied-up episode of Survivor, this island fable is a Zen warning about our rush-hour lives. Tom Hanks is poised for a third Academy Award.
3. Quills _ Geoffrey Rush makes an erotic and erratic Marquis de Sade in Philip Kaufman's satire of censorship. (Opens Dec. 25 at Tampa Theatre and Beach Theater)
4. All the Pretty Horses _ The scenery is even prettier than Matt Damon in Billy Bob Thornton's New West adventure, based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy. (Opens Dec. 25)
5. Yi Yi _ Not previewed, but the New York Film Critics Circle named this the best foreign-language film of 2000. Exclusive Florida engagement at Main Street 5 in Clearwater.