Federal prosecutors filed a motion Wednesday outlining the reasons they think a judge should deny local television stations and newspapers access to sealed evidence in the dismissed case against Steven and Marlene Aisenberg.
Among other things, reporters had asked for a copy of the tapes investigators collected after bugging the Aisenbergs' Valrico home weeks after their 5-month-old daughter, Sabrina, was reported missing.
The TV stations and newspapers have argued that the sealed evidence is of public interest, given that a federal magistrate judge has reported that detectives lied in obtaining the warrants to bug the home. The prosecution argues that since the evidence is part of a grand jury proceeding, it cannot be released. It also argues that the tapes were never admitted into evidence.
A decision is expected in the next few months.
The charges against the Aisenbergs were dropped last month after another judge said he could not hear any of the incriminating statements investigators said were on the tapes.