Times staff writer Kevin Kelly rates the top drivers in the world from the CART, Formula One, IRL, NASCAR and NHRA circuits:
LAST WEEK: While rookie Kevin Harvick won an emotional Cracker Barrel 500 on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, he likely would have lost to Jeff Gordon had the finish line been another 15 yards down the track. Gordon took over the Winston Cup points lead with a second at Atlanta and has finished no lower than third in the past three races. Dale Jarrett won his second-straight pole position and finished fourth. Cristiano da Matta jumps into this week's ranking after winning the CART season opener for Newman-Haas Racing, the team Michael Andretti left after last season. Defending CART champion Gil de Ferran finished second while Andretti finished fourth. Sterling Marlin dropped out after he finished 35th at Atlanta. NHRA, IRL and Formula One were off.
Pos., Driver, Series, Last Week
1. Michael Schumacher, Formula One (1)
2. Jeff Gordon, NASCAR Winston Cup (2)
3. David Coulthard, Formula One (3)
4. Mika Hakkinen, Formula One (4)
5. Gil de Ferran, CART (6)
6. Michael Andretti, CART (5)
7. Juan Montoya, Formula One (7)
8. Dale Jarrett, NASCAR Winston Cup (10)
9. John Force, NHRA Funny Car (9)
10. Cristiano da Matta, CART (NR)
DROPPED OUT: Sterling Marlin.