1. Archive

Northwest jet runs off runway

A Northwest Airlines plane went off a runway Saturday at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after the pilot aborted the takeoff.

The airliner was carrying 154 passengers and crew on a flight to Miami, airport spokesman Mike Conway said.

Conway and Northwest spokeswoman Kathy Peach said they were not sure why the pilot aborted the takeoff about 7:10 a.m. EST. It was not immediately clear whether the jet veered or skidded off the runway.

The Airbus 320's emergency chutes were lowered, and passengers were bused back to the terminal, Peach said. Arrangements were made to place them aboard another aircraft for the flight to Miami, she said.

Two people were treated at the scene for minor injuries and a third was taken to a hospital and later released, said Bob Ball, a Northwest vice president for operations.

Elsewhere . . .

NEWSPAPERS STOLEN: Friday's edition of Brown University's student newspaper made it to newsstands Saturday, a day late and protected by campus police because of bitter protests over an advertisement denouncing reparations for slavery. The ad ran once, on Tuesday, in the Brown Daily Herald. A coalition of mostly minority student organizations at the Rhode Island school stole the newspaper's entire press run Friday to show their anger.

ATTACK OUTSIDE MOSQUE: Two Muslim men were injured, one critically, when they were attacked outside the Northern Nevada Muslim Community Center in Sparks, Nev., in what police are calling a possible hate crime. One victim, a 48-year-old physician, suffered head injuries in Friday's attack and was in critical condition. The other, a 46-year-old electrical engineer, was treated for a broken arm. Their names were not released.

BB GUN SETTLEMENT: A Philadelphia teenager who suffered a severe brain injury when he was shot in the head with a pellet from an air rifle will receive a settlement of nearly $18-million. Lawyers for Tucker Mahoney, 17, and his parents claimed the gun was defective because it appeared to be empty but was not. They sued Daisy Manufacturing, maker of the BB gun, and retailer Kmart Corp.

NO SWALLOWS: Mike Gastelum rang the bells at Mission San Juan Capistrano on Saturday to welcome the mission's swallows back from their annual 7,000-mile pilgrimage. But no birds showed up. Mission officials blame scaffolding that surrounds much of the stone church for restorations, and the development boom in surrounding Orange County.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE