Times staff writer Kevin Kelly rates the top drivers in the world based on performance this season from the CART, Formula One, IRL, NASCAR and NHRA circuits:
LAST WEEK: In last place after bumping rookie Scott Dixon on the first lap of the Molson Indy, Michael Andretti used 11 cautions to win the race for the seventh time. . Formula One points leader Michael Schumacher will have to wait to tie Alain Prost's record of 51 wins. Mika Hakkinen beat Schumacher in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. In Winston Cup, Jeff Gordon and Dale Jarrett are tied after Gordon finished 17th in the Tropicana 400 at Chicagoland Speedway. The NHRA and IRL were off.
POS. DRIVER SERIES PREVIOUS WEEK
1. Michael Schumacher Formula One (1)
2. Sam Hornish Jr. Indy Racing (2)
3. David Coulthard Formula One (3)
4. Buddy Lazier Indy Racing (6)
5. Jeff Gordon Winston Cup (5)
6. Kenny Brack CART (4)
7. Scott Sharp IRL (10)
8. John Force NHRA Funny Car (8)
9. Helio Castroneves CART (7)
10. Dale Jarrett Winston Cup (9)
DROPPED OUT: None.
REVVING UP: Michael Andretti (CART), Ricky Rudd (WCup), Dario Franchitti (CART), Felipe Giaffone (IRL).