Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Man convicted again in double slaying

After winning a new trial on murder charges this year, former pool hall worker James Acker was convicted by a jury for the second time Friday for a double slaying in 1991.

Circuit Judge J. Rogers Padgett sentenced Acker, 37, to life in prison followed by 22 years in prison. At his first trial in 1992, Acker had been sentenced to two life terms.

On Friday, the jury found Acker guilty of first-degree and second-degree murder for killing Brandon Snider, 27, and Robert Carter, 28, in their home at the Cambridge Woods Apartments near the University of South Florida.

Prosecutors said Acker sought revenge after Snider threatened Acker's sister, an ex-girlfriend of Snider's.

Tampa man charged with child porn

TAMPA _ Authorities said Friday they had seized child pornography and a computer from a man in Lutz and charged him with 27 counts of distributing child pornography.

Sheriff's deputies said Zachariah Salak, 18, of 1904 Rebecca Road, distributed child porn on the Internet. Deputies working with the FBI searched Salak's home Friday. He was being held in jail Friday on $202,500 bail.

Police charge Tampa man in shooting

TAMPA _ Police have charged a 22-year-old Tampa man with a shooting that left a man in critical condition.

The victim, Shannon Curtis, 33, of Oakgrove, La., was found in his Chevrolet Lumina at the corner of 22nd Street and E 15th Avenue on Oct. 28.

Curtis was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Police said Curtis and a woman had stopped at the intersection and were talking when Demetrius Walker walked up and confronted Curtis. Walker took out a handgun and shot Curtis once in the head, authorities said.

Walker fled, and on Friday detectives obtained a warrant charging him with attempted murder. Walker, who told police his address is 2502 15th Ave. E, turned himself in Friday.

Walker was being held Friday in jail on $100,000 bail.