1. Archive

Deputies wound man after shooting, chase

The first time, they only flashed their guns. An hour later Sunday morning, the two men returned to a bottle club and opened fire outside, wounding a security guard, officials said.

That led to a car chase, one arrest, a foot chase, a shootout with sheriff's deputies, and one man in critical condition.

Szilard Farkas, 24, whose address was unknown, was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital on Sunday after deputies shot him multiple times by a retention pond near the Cheval subdivision.

Deputies said they warned Farkas to drop the gun, but he turned toward them, instead, prompting deputies to shoot.

"He was asked to put down his weapon, and he did not, " said Hillsborough sheriff's spokesman Alan Hill.

David Andrew Smith, 24, of 9210 N 27th St., was arrested without incident and charged with one count of aggravated battery. He was being held at the Hillsborough County Jail, Hill said.

Deputies are not sure why the two men returned Sunday morning to the Groovy Mule Bottle Club, at 8205 N Dale Mabry Highway.

Hill said trouble began at 7:08 a.m, when the men flashed guns outside the after-hours club. Witnesses called 911 and told deputies the men drove off in a blue BMW.

While deputies were busy putting out an alert on the blue car, the two men returned to the bottle club at 8:12 a.m. in a white van. This time, they opened fire.

Raymond Kramer, 30, a security guard, was shot in the leg. He was in stable condition Sunday at St. Joseph's Hospital.

This time, when the men drove off, witnesses followed. Jumping in their own cars, they dialed deputies on their cell phones. They chased them north along Dale Mabry, where deputies intercepted.

Hill said deputies placed stop sticks along Dale Mabry. They punctured the front tires on the van, sending it spinning to a halt.

The deputies involved were Scott Hamilton, 30, 3 years of service; Alan Brown, 38, 10 years; James Kelly Jr., 31, 6 years; and Arturo Lence, 46, 10 years.

Smith was apprehended immediately, but Farkas ran toward a retention pond. Deputies followed and shouted for him to drop his gun. He turned instead, and deputies shot him several times. Hill said Farkas did not manage to fire back.

"He turned on deputies with weapon in his hand, and the deputies returned fire," said Hill.