Smoke in a motor room brought almost a dozen firetrucks to Morton Plant Hospital on Friday afternoon, but there was no fire and no patients had to be evacuated.
Maintenance workers on the roof of the seven-story building at 323 Pinellas St. saw smoke in the motor room about 4:19 p.m. They pulled a fire alarm. Because smoke was seen, firefighters upgraded the call to a second alarm, which drew in 11 fire units from Clearwater, Largo, Belleair and Safety Harbor, said James Fogarty, a deputy chief for Clearwater's fire department.
No smoke reached hospital hallways or rooms. Power to the elevators had to be shut off, trapping four people inside. They were rescued and suffered no injuries, Fogarty said. The incident was under control by 4:47 p.m.
The smoke was believed to have come from a motor or generator for the elevators. Maintenance crews were planning to run the motors Friday evening to see which one had been smoking, Fogarty said.
There were about 400 patients in the hospital at the time of the incident, hospital officials said.