Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive


ORIGINAL CARROLLWOOD RESUMES WATER SERVICE: Tap water in Original Carrollwood was declared safe to drink Monday, following a bacteria survey by the agency that owns the private water system.

A power outage Nov. 8 lowered the water pressure and increased the risk of bacteria, so customers were advised over the weekend to boil their water for five minutes before drinking or preparing food with it. But the advisory was sent to newspapers and was not published until Nov. 9.

About 1,200 water customers served by the Florida Governmental Utilities Authority were in the affected area. That included those in the area north of Busch Boulevard, east of N Dale Mabry Highway, south of Fletcher Avenue and west of Armenia Avenue.

Chuck Kim, manager of the community's recreation center, said he and many other residents learned of the water ban from other neighbors by word of mouth.

FGUA officials notified the homeowners of the water ban through newspaper announcements, which ran Nov. 9 and 10, said David Lundberg, an FGUA manager in Tampa. He said when the affected area is small, they place fliers on doors. In this case, the area was too large. He said emergency notifications would be improved.

"We found out through the civic association they have an extensive phone tree system for their neighborhood watch," Lundberg said. "We'll be working through that if another situation like this occurs."

McINTOSH INVESTIGATION CONTINUES: Michael J. McIntosh Sr., the husband of a Lutz woman recently found dead in her home, was arrested late Thursday and charged with violating a domestic violence injunction.

The injunction was in effect even though Aprile McIntosh was found slain in her Crystal Cove home on Nov. 8. The Oct. 23 order stemmed from Michael McIntosh's arrest on Oct. 6 after his wife alleged he spit in her face and threw a book at her chest.

Friends say the 35-year-old mother of four worked hard as a nurse and was active in her church.

McIntosh's husband, Michael McIntosh, was at the couple's Crystal Cove home when deputies arrived on the morning of her death. The Sheriff's Office has not revealed the cause of her death.