Intel, the largest maker of computer chips, has ranked the top 100 "Most Unwired Cities," areas with the greatest wireless Internet accessibility. The survey looked at the number of public and commercial wireless access points, cell phone coverage offering wireless Internet access and Internet penetration in the cities, and calculated the results on a per-capita basis. Eight Florida areas made the list, but none was in the top 10:
1. Portland, Ore.-Vancouver, Wash.
2. San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland
3. Austin-San Marcos, Texas
5. Orange County, Calif.
6. Washington, D.C.
7. San Diego
9. Ventura, Calif.
43. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
47. Melbourne-Titusville-Palm Bay
55. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
59. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton
92. Daytona Beach