Miami Florida Christian at Clearwater Central Catholic
WHEN: Tonight, 7.
OUTLOOK: These teams met less than a year ago, with CCC taking a 5-0 victory and capturing the Class 2A state championship in the process. This title game rematch holds great promise. The Marauders will once again be one of the best in 2A and are off to a 4-1 start (with the loss coming to Clearwater). Ryan Webb has been outstanding so far, with a 0.38 ERA, and CCC once again boasts a set of strong arms. Florida Christian has advanced to the final four the past two seasons and is off to a 9-1 start behind Tennessee recruits Sean Watson, a pitcher, and David Hernandez, an outfielder, as well as slugging catcher Raul Rodriguez.
The Super Seven
1. Dunedin (9-1) _ The Falcons made this an easy one after beating previously undefeated East Lake 5-1 Wednesday night. Even without standout Ryan Harvey, its best player, Dunedin is showing its No. 8 National Baseball Coaches Association and Baseball America ranking might be warranted.
2. East Lake (10-1) _ The Eagles deserve some love. They lost a wealth of talent from last season's state runner-up team but haven't missed a beat thanks to the pitching of C.K. Gordon and Jon Schaus.
3. Northside Christian (9-0) _ Loaded with talent, the Mustangs are doing their usual plastering of opponents.
4. Seminole (6-1) _ Cody Reed has been solid on the mound and the Warhawks' lone blemish was a season-opening loss to Dunedin.
5. Palm Harbor U. (7-2) _ Poised to create some trouble in the competitive north county race, the Hurricanes handed Dunedin their only loss this season.
6. Clearwater Central Catholic (4-1) _ Great pitching will once again carry the Marauders, who return more talent than you think from last season's state championship team.
7. Dixie Hollins (4-2) _ Jess Litsch's one-hitter against Northeast last week shows that the Rebels might be headed in the right direction.
_ Compiled by John C. Cotey.