Advertisement
  1. Archive

Solvents' fumes send workers to hospital

Three people who work at the Dolphin Village shopping center were hospitalized Tuesday when fumes from solvents used to remove glue from an outdoor walkway drifted into their offices.

The second floor of the shopping center on Gulf Boulevard was evacuated shortly after 11 a.m. as dozens of firefighters and hazardous materials crew members tried to determine the toxicity of the fumes. "A few people were feeling ill because a cleaning company was using chemicals to clear off an outdoor deck, and it drifted into adjacent offices," said Treasure Island fire Chief Charles Fant.

A crew from Rembrandt Surface Systems Inc. of Sarasota had been working in the area the past four days. "We were using diesel fuel the first day, then Pine-Sol and water," said Rembrandt owner T.J. Bentley as his crew of nearly 20 men waited in the parking lot. "There was a 5-knot wind blowing, and we thought it was safe."

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Advertisement
Advertisement