1. Archive

Man accused of threatening wife

A Crystal River man was arrested Monday night and accused of driving under the influence, driving with a suspended license, threatening to harm another and resisting a law officer.

Citrus County sheriff's Deputy Terry Corbin saw a black Mercury Marquis with a tan roof while patrolling an area of Rock Crusher Road, according to an arrest report.

The vehicle matched the description of one being driven by an assault suspect, Wayne Kirkhuff, who allegedly threatened to harm his wife, Connie.

Wayne Kirkhuff lives in the area Corbin was patrolling, according to the report.

The deputy matched the Mercury's tag number to the one provided by Connie Kirkhuff and tried to stop the vehicle. According to the report, Wayne Kirkhuff continued driving and eventually pulled into his garage.

The deputy said Kirkhuff, 48, smelled of alcohol and refused to take sobriety tests, according to the report. Kirkhuff was handcuffed and driven to the Citrus County jail.

According to the report, Kirkhuff denied threatening his wife but admitted to a previous domestic conviction while in Ohio. Kirkhuff also said his driver's license had been suspended 10 years ago.

Kirkhuff was held on $2,000 bail but had been released by Tuesday, jail officials said.

In other news:

A 36-year-old Dunnellon man was arrested early Tuesday and accused of battery.

Deputy Douglas Joyner responded to N Cedar Cove Road regarding a reported battery, an arrest report said.

He found the victim, Gordon Ball, and a witness who said that Anthony Dwight Whitten had pulled up to the residence looking for his wife, who had left.

Ball and the witness told the deputy that Whitten, 36, returned a second time looking for his wife and got into an argument with Ball, hitting and kicking Ball several times.

Joyner found Whitten at 9250 W Cedar Cove Road, according to the report. Whitten told the deputy he was defending himself in the fight, but Joyner did not observe any marks on Whitten.

Whitten was taken to the Citrus County jail. His bail was set at $500 and he was released later Tuesday.