1. Archive

Driver fled scene of fatality, FHP says

Published Sep. 1, 2005

Florida Highway Patrol officials need help finding a motorist who witnesses said caused a deadly crash.

Walter N. Issel, 64, of Apollo Beach was killed in the accident about 8:35 p.m. Monday when a white Honda Civic tried to change lanes in front of his 1993 Lincoln on southbound U.S. 41, south of State Road 54, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

The back of the Honda clipped the front of the Lincoln, causing Issel to lose control, the report said. The Lincoln struck a curb and a railing before landing in a ditch. Issel, who was not wearing a seat belt, was partially thrown through the driver's side window and died from his injuries, the report said.

Issel's passenger, Larry Barron, 37, of St. Petersburg, was taken to University Community Hospital with minor injuries, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. But hospital officials had no record of him Wednesday.

The driver of the Honda fled. The white Honda likely has damage to its right rear side, according to the report and patrol Sgt. Lee Frye. He said it also has "front ground effects" used by racers that make the car look wider.

To report information about the incident, call Frye toll-free at 1-800-235-6019.

Dog dies on chain;

man charged with cruelty

DADE CITY _ A man was charged with felony cruelty to animals after police said he left a dog chained outside in the sun for several days without food or water, killing the animal.

Terry Keith Yates, 18, of 37152 Oak Court in Dade City was arrested Tuesday night during a traffic stop and charged Wednesday morning. Dade City police had been looking for him since they found the decomposing and chained Rottweiler in a pen in Yates' yard on July 3, when neighbors complained of the smell to police, said Capt. Linda Register.

The day before, Yates was arrested in Hernando County on a marijuana possession charge, state records show. Animal Control officials took away another dog that was inside the house, she said.

Yates was released from Land O'Lakes jail after posting $10,000 bail.