Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Fall puts man in serious condition

A 32-year-old man was in serious condition after falling from a stairway on the third level of new Soldier Field during Sunday's game between the Bears and San Diego.

Chicago police would not release the fan's name, citing federal privacy laws.

The man was on an exterior stairway on the southwest side of the stadium when he fell, according to a joint statement from the Bears and the Chicago Park District. Police spokeswoman JoAnn Taylor said the man landed on a grassy area and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

She wouldn't release any details on his injuries.

Cardinals extend deals

TEMPE, Ariz. _ Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton signed a five-year contract extension through 2008.

It was one of several moves the team made to use about $8-million of the $11-million it had left under this year's salary cap.

Arizona had until today to make contract adjustments that would apply to this season's cap and save money next season. Shelton would have become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

Also, the team restructured the final three years of guard Leonard Davis' contract to give him more money this year, running back Damien Anderson signed a three-year extension, and tight end Steve Bush, kick returner-running back Josh Scobey and linebacker LeVar Woods got two-year extensions.

CHARGERS: Receiver Reche Caldwell, a former standout at Florida and Jefferson High, left with a mild concussion.

COLTS: Brad Pyatt was removed on a stretcher as a precaution after he bruised his chest and strained his lower back returning a punt against Miami. X-rays were normal, and Pyatt was walking less than an hour later. The game was delayed 10 minutes before Pyatt was lifted onto a stretcher. The rookie was hit after returning a punt 11 yards. Miami's Tommy Hendricks also was shaken up on the play but walked off.

COWBOYS: Offensive linemen Larry Allen (sprained left knee) and Flozell Adams (bruised right shoulder) were hurt in the first half. Allen was sidelined for a few plays in the first quarter, but he returned in the second quarter. He then stayed on the turf after blocking on a Dallas field goal attempt that was nullified by a penalty and left again. Adams left and returned the next series.

EAGLES: Quarterback Donovan McNabb, who finished the game, will have more tests today on his sore back.

FALCONS: Offensive tackle Bob Whitfield went out in the third quarter with a fractured right fibula and ligament damage, ending his season.

JAGUARS: Cornerback Fernando Bryant left in the third quarter with a concussion after a helmet-to-helmet collision with teammate Donovin Darius.

JETS: Linebacker Mo Lewis (hip) was inactive, snapping his streak of 71 consecutive regular-season starts.

LIONS: Cornerback Dre' Bly (left hamstring) and defensive end Robert Porcher (hip) were inactive. Also, offensive tackle Victor Rogers (back) went on injured reserve.

RAIDERS: The team was down to its third-string quarterback after backup Marques Tuiasosopo joined starter Rich Gannon on the sideline. Tuiasosopo injured his left knee in the first half. He didn't return and was replaced by third-stringer Rick Mirer.

REDSKINS: Returner/running back Chad Morton (sprained right ankle) was hurt in the first half.

SEAHAWKS: Defensive tackle Norman Hand left in the first quarter with an arm injury.

TEXANS: Already without starting quarterback David Carr, Houston lost rookie tailback Domanick Davis to a strained chest in the second half after a 74-yard day. Davis was trying to become the first player to run for 100 yards in each of his first three league starts.