1. Archive

Some still awaiting tax checks

The Internal Revenue Service Monday issued a list of county residents whose general refund or advance child tax credit checks have come back undeliverable.

The IRS, for privacy reasons, did not indicate which names fell into which group.

While taxpayers have three years to claim undelivered general refund checks, those looking for their advance child tax credit have until Dec. 5 to claim their checks, the IRS warned. After that date, taxpayers cannot claim the check until they file next year.

Whether you are missing your general refund or looking for your child tax credit, the IRS requires mailing addresses to be updated before checks can be reissued.

The agency recommends going to "Where's My Refund?" provides information about refunds and "Where's My Advance Child Tax Credit?" provides information about the tax credit. Both are available on the IRS home page.

Taxpayers without access to the Internet who think they may be missing a refund or advance child tax credit check, the IRS said, should first check their records or contact their tax preparer before calling the IRS toll-free assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 to update their address.

Refund checks go astray for reasons that can vary with each taxpayer, the agency said in its release. Often, it's because a life change causes an address change. If taxpayers move or change their address and fail to notify the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service, a check sent to their last known address is returned to the IRS.