1. Archive

CCC personnel records may conserve data

Civilian Conservation Corps records are a potential resource for rooters with basic information about a relative who served in the Corps. The CCC, part of the Works Project Administration, gave jobs to the unemployed during the Depression. Between 1933 and 1941, more than 3-million men between the ages of 18 and 25 served in the CCC, helping to protect natural resources. CCC camps were established all over the United States, with officers in charge of the men.

CCC personnel records and discharge papers may contain a physical description of the individual and personal data: age and last job, residence when he enlisted and the name and address of the individuals receiving the bulk of his monthly allotment. Records are kept in the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Mo., a branch of the National Archives. Complete records are not easily obtained, but you may be lucky. Log on to www.archives. gov/facilities/mo/


records.html for details or e-mail The postal address is: National Personnel Records Center, Civilian Personnel Records, 111 Winnebago St., St. Louis, MO 63118.

Little information is filed by an individual's name. However, if you obtain his discharge papers from St. Louis, you may be able to find more information in the documents at the CCC Museum & Research Center in St. Louis. The Center is open to the public. (

Another resource is John Justin's Web site at http://

famjustin/cccdocs.html. Created in honor of his father, the online James F. Justin Conservation Museum shows what records are available. You'll find hints for locating these documents at http://


Justin's site also features brief biographies and rosters. He is expanding his site and welcomes contributions from individuals who participated in the CCC.


In a column published last October about bonuses given to World War II veterans by 26 states, Wisconsin was included. It should not have been. Wisconsin did award bonuses to individual World War I veterans.

These bonus applications, which can be found at the state's archives (on the Web site www. and the Wisconsin Veterans Museum ( in Madison, are a fine genealogical resource.

However, Wisconsin did place money in a special fund overseen by the state's Department of Veterans' Affairs. Honorably discharged World War II veterans could tap into the fund for such things as housing and education.

It is unlikely that a veteran who did not receive a bonus then could receive one now. The application deadline was generally around 1950. If, however, you wish to pursue this benefit, you must contact the veterans' affairs office in the state where you resided at the time of your discharge. Each state VA office has a Web site you can visit for information. If you don't have a computer, please call a local VA office for contact information in other states.

Read past Donna Murray Allen columns online at Type "Donna Murray Allen" in the search box. You can write to Allen c/o Floridian, St. Petersburg Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731, or e-mail her at Her Web site:, which includes information on classes and lectures.