Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Captain resigns during inquiry

A police captain who reportedly cursed at Pinellas County sheriff's deputies during a domestic incident has resigned, officials said Monday.

Miranda Anderson, a 19-year veteran of the Largo Police Department, has said she will return to graduate school, perhaps to become an attorney, Deputy Chief John Carroll said.

Her resignation Friday came amid an internal investigation into the incident, in which sheriff's deputies issued Anderson a trespass warning at her ex-boyfriend's Seminole area house on Jan. 14. She was there to pick up her 5-year-old son.

"She decided enough is enough, now is as good a time as any," said Carroll, who has known Anderson since she joined the force and led the internal investigation. He said Anderson had been talking about returning to school for several years.

Anderson, 43, one of the department's five highest-ranking leaders, was put on paid administrative leave while her superiors investigated. Carroll's probe sustained the allegations made against her in the Sheriff's Office report, he said.

According to the Sheriff's Office report, Anderson's ex-boyfriend, Richard Dunleavy, 43, called the police saying she wouldn't leave his property.

When deputies arrived, Anderson, who was standing in the driveway, "became very irate," and yelled profanities, stating that this was "f------ b------- that the Sheriff's Office was called," and she wants her f------ son now," according to the report.

Deputies asked her to calm down, and she told them she was a captain with the Largo Police Department. They then told her that child custody was a civil matter that would need to be resolved in court.

After deputies went inside and spoke to Dunleavy, a former Largo police lieutenant, he agreed to give the boy to Anderson. Deputies told Anderson they would issue her a trespass warning. She became irate and yelled again.

Dunleavy then brought the sleeping boy out to Anderson, who yelled at Dunleavy. She pointed her finger at the deputies and threatened them, saying, "This is not the last you're going to hear about this," according to the report. She got into her vehicle and sped off.

Anderson was placed on leave, and an internal investigation opened when department officials learned of the incident.

Anderson resigned before officials could hand down a punishment, although the allegations were sustained, Carroll said. Police officials had said that if the allegations were found to be true, that could constitute conduct unbecoming an officer, which carries a potential penalty ranging from three days suspension to termination. She was not under any pressure to resign, he said.

Anderson did not return a call to her home Monday afternoon.