Bestsellers for the week ending Sept. 4, according to the New York Times:Fiction
1. THE DA VINCI CODE (Dan Brown) The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. MURDER LIST (Julie Garwood) An heiress becomes entangled in a deadly plot that may have been hatched by a self-help guru.
3. THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN (Mitch Albom) An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
4. WHITE HOT (Sandra Brown) Returning home after his brother's mysterious death, a woman is embroiled in family intrigue.
5. ANGELS & DEMONS (Dan Brown) A Harvard scholar tries to save the Vatican from the machinations of an underground society.
6. THE RULE OF FOUR (Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason) Two Princeton students who are trying to unravel the mysteries of a Renaissance text become ensnared in murderous intrigue.
7. HIGH DRUID OF SHANNARA: TANEQUIL (Terry Brooks) The second volume in a fantasy series.
8. SKINNY DIP (Carl Hiaasen) A woman enlists an ex-police officer in a plot to take revenge on her husband, a marine biologist who tried to kill her.
9. JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL (Susanna Clarke) A literary fantasy involving a Yorkshire magician and the Napoleonic Wars.
10. DARK JUSTICE (Jack Higgins) Working with his British counterpart, an American intelligence agent must uncover the source of an international terror ring.
1. UNFIT FOR COMMAND (John E. O'Neill and Jerome R. Corsi) A negative appraisal of John Kerry's conduct in Vietnam.
2. AMERICAN SOLDIER (Tommy Franks with Malcolm McConnell) A memoir by the former head of the U.S. Central Command.
3. MY LIFE (Bill Clinton) From Hope, Ark., to the White House: the autobiography of the 42nd president.
4. BUSHWORLD (Maureen Dowd) A journalist's assessment of President Bush, based on her columns and articles in the New York Times.
5. SKYWRITING (Jane Pauley) A memoir by the television personality chronicles her career, family life and recent struggle with bipolar disorder.
6. EATS, SHOOTS & LEAVES (Lynne Truss) An Englishwoman expounds on the use and misuse of punctuation marks.
7. HOW TO MAKE LOVE LIKE A PORN STAR (Jenna Jameson with Neil Strauss) A leading lady of adult movies describes her unusual life and work.
8. DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM (David Sedaris) The humorist's latest collection of essays.
9. SHADOW DIVERS (Robert Kurson) The story of a group of divers who in 1991, 60 miles off the coast of New Jersey, discovered the wreckage of a World War II-era German U-boat.
10. SEASON OF LIFE (Jeffrey Marx) The story of Joe Ehrmann, a former professional football player and now an ordained minister.