Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Jeanne scatters all new damage

BELLEAIR BLUFFS: Belleair Causeway, which was closed Sunday because of a swaying light fixture that was threatening passing traffic, reopened Monday. The Belleair boat ramp is closed indefinitely because of heavy damage to its docks.

"One of the walkways was underwater this morning," said Pinellas County sheriff's Deputy Bernie D'Agostino, who surveyed the damage Monday. "There was a large amount of debris on the boat ramps where the high tide had come in and left the debris."

CLEARWATER: Clearwater officials estimated damage in the city would exceed $1.2-million, $400,000 more than during Frances. However, no business or home had been reported as a total loss, Clearwater emergency manager Bill Vola said.

A row of hangars at Clearwater Airpark were damaged, and more than 23 traffic signals remained without power Monday. The city's water treatment plants also were without power, but the system was up and running using generators.

Two library branches, including the city's new main library, had water leaks. There was no damage at the main library, but the city needed to replace several ceiling tiles at the Clearwater Beach branch. Two books, Life 101 and Emotional Intelligence, were also ruined by the water intrusion, branch manager Linda Hamrell said.

PALM HARBOR: Gusts from Hurricane Jeanne blew the shingles, even the tar paper, off sections of roofs in the Country Place Apartments on Tampa Road.

"Where you see plywood, that's a leaker," said Dirk Kerr, maintenance supervisor.

Kerr said many units had leaks after shingles blew off; some even had drywall falling into living rooms.

"We're moving those residents out and into units that are safe," he said.

Shane Anyan said she was one of those with no functioning roof. She had picked up a newspaper so she could look through apartment ads.

Denise Walthall said the roof didn't cause water damage in her apartment, but water did get in around her windows, which was only one of her problems. She had no power in her apartment, the telephone wouldn't work without electricity and she said residents had been asked to hold off on flushing toilets. She thought a tree that fell near an entrance had disrupted a sewer line.

"Other than that, we're just fine," she said. "We're pretty much out of the world right now."

TARPON SPRINGS: Tarpon Springs officials broke down their emergency operations center at 2 a.m. Monday and started the storm recovery a few hours later.

City streets, just cleared from Frances' debris the previous Sunday, were again covered with branches and a few downed wires. Wind damaged scores of mobile homes, but none of them so seriously that they couldn't be lived in, police said.

On Monday morning, crews were out assessing damage, and all major roads were open with operating traffic signals, police chief Mark LeCouris said.

Jeanne's wrath left fewer problems in Tarpon Springs than Frances did, Mayor Beverley Billiris said. "I don't think we have as many trees down, but I think we have bigger trees down," Billiris said.

One of those was a 75-foot-tall tree that was uprooted from Sam and Denise Markonios' front yard. On Sunday evening Sam Markonios heard what sounded "like a bomb" outside his home on N Florida Avenue in Tarpon Springs. When he looked outside, the tree was toppled and lying across the street.

That night, a city crew moved the tree from the roadway to the Markonios' front lawn, and Monday morning two public services workers were back trying to figure out what to do about the tree.

Many Tarpon residents were still without power Monday, and some, like Margie and Susan Sands, turned it into a day at the beach.

The mother and daughter evacuated their mobile home in Sun Valley Estates about 1 a.m. Saturday after a firetruck went through the neighborhood warning them to leave. When they got home about 7 p.m. Sunday, the power was out.

Today they still have no power. So when Susan, 28, who moved here from Ohio one month ago, found out she didn't have to work, she and her mother went to the beach at Fred Howard Park.

Conditions for sunbathing were perfect, but Susan Sands said, "I'd rather have power, rather have everything the way it was."

Staff writers Theresa Blackwell, Nick Collins, Nora Koch, Eileen Schulte, Aaron Sharockman, Catherine E. Shoichet and Shannon Tan contributed to this report.

UNSAFE FOR WALKING: Boards from a dock at the Belleair Causeway bridge were ripped away by Hurricane Jeanne's high winds.

THE OCEAN'S MIGHT: A sailboat sits on the north side of the Dunedin Causeway on Monday after having washed ashore due to Hurricane Jeanne's high winds Sunday.

ASSESSING THE DAMAGE: Rodney Cox, superintendent for the Countryside Executive Golf Course, surveys a storage facility Monday that was damaged by a falling tree as Hurricane Jeanne moved through the area. Cox isn't sure if golf course owners will rebuild the structure or just fix the roof.