1. Archive

Georgia's top back to return Saturday

Danny Ware is ready to pick up where he left off in the Georgia backfield.

After sitting out part of one game and all of another because of a bruised lung, the freshman will start Saturday against No. 13 LSU.

"He looks good," coach Mark Richt said Tuesday. "He's shown so far that he's a guy who's very physical, who can break tackles and make yards after contact."

Ware became the first freshman running back since the 1940s to start his first game at Georgia, rushing for 135 yards and three touchdowns in a victory over I-AA Georgia Southern.

He carried eight times for 41 yards against South Carolina before getting hurt.

"I don't know what happened," he said. "All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe."

He was diagnosed with a bruised lung. Ware didn't play against Marshall then got an extra week to recuperate when the Bulldogs were off.

Georgia struggled offensively against Marshall, winning 13-3, as Michael Cooper, Tyson Browning and Thomas Brown shared the job.

"It definitely won't hurt us to have him back," center Russ Tanner said. "He runs the ball hard. He did a great job when he was in there. He's another option for us. He has a chance to break one on every play."

Parents settle suit with

supplement companies

CHICAGO _ The family of Rashidi Wheeler has reached a potential $100,000 settlement with companies that made and distributed one of two performance-enhancing supplements he took shortly before he collapsed and died during a Northwestern preseason drill in 2001.

If a federal judge approves, Nutraquest, Phoenix Laboratories and General Nutrition, would share equally in paying $75,000. The family would have another $25,000 in unsecured claims against Nutraquest, which filed for bankruptcy protection last year.

The supplement companies said in court papers that Xenadrine RFA-1, a supplement containing the stimulant ephredra, did not kill Wheeler and they were settling to "avoid the time, expense and risk of further litigation."

Wheeler's parents have not blamed the supplement companies for their son's death but agreed to the settlement as part of a larger legal strategy against the school. They allege their son sustained an exercised-induced asthma attack while running an involuntary drill. They say that after their son collapsed, school officials delayed in summoning emergency help, treated him improperly and later tried to cover up mistakes.