1. Archive

Ex-Gator CB part of gun probe

Former Florida cornerback Dee Webb is part of an ongoing police investigation involving a shot fired from an assault rifle into an occupied apartment this past weekend.

Webb, a 21-year-old from Jacksonville, played in all 12 games for the Gators last season but entered the NFL draft in January and has received an invitation to the NFL combine.

Early Sunday morning, police were called to the Cambridge apartments where Webb is a resident after reports a shot had been fired into another apartment shared by three women, Gainesville Police spokesman Sgt. Keith Kameg told the Gainesville Sun. Two of the women were in the apartment when a bullet tore through the concrete wall near their front door and into another wall of the front bedroom.

No one was injured.

According to Kameg's statements, a witness told police he saw Webb and three other men walking near the apartments after he heard a few shots and that Webb appeared to be carrying a small gun case. Police confiscated an AR-15 rifle and an AK-47 rifle from Webb's apartment as part of the investigation.

"We believe one of those two guns was one of the guns that fired the bullet into the apartment, but detectives have to determine which one and who fired the gun," Kameg told the Sun.

The Gainesville Police Department would not release copies of the incident report because it is part of an ongoing investigation. Kameg did not return repeated phone calls to his office and pager Tuesday, and an officer said only Kameg could comment on the incident.

While officers were investigating the scene Sunday morning, Webb called his apartment and was told to return. He arrived in asports utility vehicle with UF receiver Andre Caldwell and cornerback Reggie Lewis. The players had been at the team's annual banquet the night before.

A woman inside his apartment told police several people had been present earlier and had been drinking alcohol. She said she heard shots while in the shower and assumed Webb was firing the guns, although she didn't see anyone use them.

Webb was not arrested, although officers said he appeared to be intoxicated. He told police he didn't know of anyone shooting the guns, that he unloaded them earlier and didn't hear any shots. He told police he had been in possession of the guns for three days but had never fired them.

Webb told officers he "had a million-dollar career waiting for him in the NFL and his lawyers would clear him of this," Kameg said.

A man who answered the phone at Webb's home in Jacksonville Tuesday did not want to comment and calls to Webb's cell phone were unanswered. Caldwell could not be reached for comment.

The Florida athletic department said it would not issue a statement on the incident at this time.